Rattling noise from lower cam chain

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
pmansson
Sweden

#1 Rattling noise from lower cam chain

Post by pmansson » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:02 am

Kicks in at 1800, and more so on a hot than cold engine. Has been present for a couple of years during which I have done perhaps 1000 miles. Sounds like metal balls being shaken around in a tin can. Using a stetoscope, I can´t hear anything from the water pump, as I hoped, as it is easier to change.
Also very audible from the exhaust system, with the door open. Almost as if the noise came from under the xar.
How urgent is it to change the chain and tensioner? Can it be done by removing sump and breast cover, or does the cyl head need to come off as well?
The sad thing is that the engine was rebuilt by a well known company in England about 6 yrs ago. Chain and tensioner are on the list of parts replaced…
Peder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rattling noise from lower cam chain

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:51 am

Peder

You mention the noise sounds like it's coming from under the car.
You don't mention which E-Type you have but on Series 1/2 with the standard exhaust setup, the silencers are directly under the doors. It could be a loose baffle which becomes more audible as the gas flow increases.
Worth checking and relatively easy to replace. One of mine had a hole in the topside which was very audible.
Alternatively one of the fluted sections at the bottom of the down pipes could have split-again I've had this happen
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rattling noise from lower cam chain

Post by malcolm » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:05 am

My first thought was also an exhaust baffle. Worth a check
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rattling noise from lower cam chain

Post by rswaffie » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:05 am

I had something similar recently, a metallic rattle/tinkling noise from the engine bay. Mine was noticeable on startup or idle but not when on the move. It turned out to be the manifold to downpipe nuts had worked a bit loose on one pipe and the metal gasket was rattling and the noise was being magnified through the downpipe. Nipped it up and gone!
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
pmansson
Sweden

#5 Re: Rattling noise from lower cam chain

Post by pmansson » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:59 am

Agreed, but the noise does emanate at the front of the engine, and low down😱

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#6 Re: Rattling noise from lower cam chain

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:06 am

Peder

The noise can travel due to the interconnectivity of the exhaust and engine block. If you're unable to pinpoint the noise at the bottom of the engine this may be the reason.
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Rattling noise from lower cam chain

Post by mgcjag » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:19 am

Hi Peder......pull off the breather cover to access the timing chain adjuster. ...check chain tension.....then with an endoscope investigate lower chain and tensioner....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
pmansson
Sweden

#8 Re: Rattling noise from lower cam chain

Post by pmansson » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Will do so on Monday, when at my Stockholm garage. I read through the invoices from CMC, and see thar both chains, and tensioner were renewed, and the top chain was tightened last year. I see nothing about a new water pump. I will remove the belt on Monday, and if no noise, it is the water pump.
How urgent is it to replace the pump, given that it works very well and has made the noise for 5-6 yrs?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic