Question regarding camshaft removal

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
lopena
United States of America

#1 Question regarding camshaft removal

Post by lopena » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:49 pm

I need to remove the camshafts on my 1964 OTS 3.8 liter to adjust the valve clearances (this will be my first time doing this).

My question is as follows:

Is it necessary to go through the additional step of slackening the timing chain tension (using special tool JD2B) before removing the camshafts? Shouldn’t the cams simply lift out once the two (safety-wired) sprocket bolts are removed?

Most YouTube tutorials say ‘yes’…loosen the chain tension, but the official Jaguar Service Manual makes no mention of releasing the chain tension before removing the camshafts (page B.33).

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Alan
N.J.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Question regarding camshaft removal

Post by christopher storey » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:12 pm

You can in fact probably get the shafts off without loosening the tension, but it is very undesirable because it may strain the chain links, and it will be virtually impossible to get the sprockets back on when reassembling. Slackening is only a two minute job anyway

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Question regarding camshaft removal

Post by mgcjag » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:11 pm

Hi Alan...as Christopher mentions above. .....also once youve set your clearances you will need to reset your valve timing so will have to slacken/tighten the chain anyway so you will need the tool anyway....although you can just use a pair of long nose pliers....so slakening the chain to remove the cams makse the job a bit easier.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
lopena
United States of America

#4 Re: Question regarding camshaft removal

Post by lopena » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:56 pm

Christopher, Steve:

Okay, I did as you both suggested and loosened the chain with the special tool and *presto!* the camshafts slid right out. Hopefully they will go back in as easily as they came out!

Thanks for your help!

Alan
N.J.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
lopena
United States of America

#5 Re: Question regarding camshaft removal

Post by lopena » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:48 pm

One follow-up question, if you please: when I re-install the camshafts should I slather some re-assembly lube into the cam bearings, or is motor oil sufficient?

Thanks again!
Alan
N.J.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Question regarding camshaft removal

Post by christopher storey » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:17 pm

If you have graphogen or similar , it will do no harm, but if you have not renewed the cam bearings, there is no need for it : oil will be sufficient

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Question regarding camshaft removal

Post by mgcjag » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:57 pm

Alan.....do not expect your tappet gaps to be correct the first time you refit your camshafts. ....as this is your first time you will be very lucky if they are correct.....often taking 2 or 3 attempts to get them spot on.....personally i would replace the cam bearings they arnt very expensive and a very thin smear of oil( if graphogen then very thin) and torque the bearing caps correctly as this will affect the gap if you just tighten by hand...torqing gives consistency....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic