E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Dr-G

#1 E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Dr-G » Mon May 08, 2023 1:42 pm

All,

S1 4.2 Coupe, 1964

About 10-15 years ago I bought a full long manifold stainless steel exhaust system from E-Type Fabs (or it may have been Classic Fabs - I honsetly can't remember). It's beautifully made, and sounds good, but it immediately became clear that since it's louder than a standard system, it's not really what I needed for day-to-day driving.

The car was laid-up shortly after the system was fitted, so the exhaust has done significantly less than 1000 miles. I'm about to put the car back on the road, and would like to replace it with a more standard system.

Two questions:

1) What's a good quality, fairly quiet system for a standard E-Type (including manifolds)?

2) Approxiately how much could I expect to get for the existing system if I sold it?

This is really not meant to be some kind of advert for the old system (although I understand if the mods don't see it that way!), The nearest system I can find online is from Classic Fabs, but there are no prices online. I'm genuinely just trying to get an estimate of the net cost of swapping the systems. My intention is to put it on EBay with a reasonable starting price.

Thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#2 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by dlgis » Mon May 08, 2023 6:26 pm

Hi, you can get a standard system from JLR by using the website below, noting the part numbers and ordering at your local JLR dealer. Approx cost of the whole system exc clamps and fixings is around £900.

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

SNGB have standard manifolds with improved coatings. 👍
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Dr-G

#3 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Dr-G » Mon May 08, 2023 6:38 pm

dlgis wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:26 pm
Hi, you can get a standard system from JLR by using the website below, noting the part numbers and ordering at your local JLR dealer. Approx cost of the whole system exc clamps and fixings is around £900.

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

SNGB have standard manifolds with improved coatings. 👍
Thanks.

On the JLR website it says £1390 inc. VAT for a standard stainless exhaust. It says "less 4.2 litre" - no idea what that means.

And for a "standard stainless exhaust system" on SNGB it's £685 inc. VAT.

So unless I've missed something (quite posible), it's more than twice the price from JLR for a similar thing?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#4 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by dlgis » Mon May 08, 2023 9:37 pm

It’s not the easiest website to search, I believe the tab for a whole system takes you to the complete stainless steel exhaust at £1390, and the tabs for the front and rear exhaust sections are the mild steel components and you have to add up the cost of the bits you want. I paid £140 recently for the centre silencer on it’s own that I ordered from Jaguar Tonbridge. You can certainly get a complete stainless steel system from others for less than you can buy the whole mild steel system from Jaguar, but some on this forum have said the sound is more authentic with the mild steel system.

Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

#5 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by max-it-out » Wed May 10, 2023 9:48 am

I recently fitted the Bell stainless straight through system from SNGB . Cost was around £ 650 . The sound is about the same as mild steel at low revs / idle , but a bit louder when the revs rise . It`s not intrusive on the motorway , but mine is the roadster , so lots of wind noise anyway .
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rich70
Great Britain

#6 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Rich70 » Wed May 10, 2023 2:23 pm

Have you thought about replacing the silencers on your existing system for larger/quieter ones? Could be worth speaking to a custom exhaust shop to see if they could help by modifying what you have as it will probably be cost effective too. Speak to classic fabs??

Alternatively, I have had good results from fitting sound deadening matting to the interiors of vehicles in the past (yet to try it on an Etype though).
Richard. UK RHD 1970 S2 2+2 Auto.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Dr-G

#7 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Dr-G » Wed May 10, 2023 3:02 pm

Rich70 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:23 pm
Have you thought about replacing the silencers on your existing system for larger/quieter ones? Could be worth speaking to a custom exhaust shop to see if they could help by modifying what you have as it will probably be cost effective too. Speak to classic fabs??

Alternatively, I have had good results from fitting sound deadening matting to the interiors of vehicles in the past (yet to try it on an Etype though).
I spoke to Classic Fabs a while back and they said that my system has been replaced by a different model. I'm pretty sure that the least hassle and cheapest option would be to get a new system and sell the existing one. I get the impression it won't be very difficult to sell it.

The other point is that IIRC it's a 2" bore, and the 3-into-1 lower manifolds protrude lower than a standard system. I'd like the extra ground clearance (even if it's marginal). Since the car was last on the road, the local council has become obsessed with speed bumps and raised Zebra crossings, several of which have appeared on my road. [ETA I just looked on the Classic Fabs website, and the manifolds (which look identical to mine) are stated as having no effect on ground clearance, so I'm obviously mistaken on that point]

I put a full sound deadening kit on the car when I rebuilt it.

I will re-evaluate the car on Saturday when I take it for it's MOT. It's been so long since I last drove it that I'm relying on my memory of what it was like. I think it wasn't bad at all at low revs, but really came alive at 2000+ rpm. It was a beautiful sound, but could get a bit tiring after a while. It was supplied with two tubular insert options that fit just after the main silencer box - a "loud2 pair and a "slightly less loud" pair. I've currently got the less loud option fitted...Still no further with what the approximate value of the system is.

Thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by mgcjag » Wed May 10, 2023 3:39 pm

Value.....its worth what the market will pay....to get that auction it on ebay......or make up your own mind on what price you would be happy with and post in our sale section.....note that your selling becaus its too loud...your not the only one to do this so maybe not as popular as you think....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Dr-G

#9 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Dr-G » Wed May 10, 2023 7:22 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 3:39 pm
Value.....its worth what the market will pay....to get that auction it on ebay......or make up your own mind on what price you would be happy with and post in our sale section.....note that your selling becaus its too loud...your not the only one to do this so maybe not as popular as you think....Steve

I said in my original post that my intention was to put it on EBay. There definitely isn't a problem in finding a buyer, but again, as I said, the question is what the system is worth. Once I have an idea of value, I can make a call on whether to get a new system, or stick with it. Cearly, if I put it on EBay and it goes for £100, I'd be hugely out of pocket once I've bought a replacement. Hence the content of my original post.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by mgcjag » Wed May 10, 2023 7:27 pm

Auction it with a reserve....as I said your call as to what you'd be happy with...ps...you don't have to quote a previous post..it just uses up server space...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Dr-G

#11 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Dr-G » Wed May 10, 2023 7:34 pm

I need to have a value in mind in order to set a reserve, or as I mentioned, a starting price. I don't want to end up in the unlucky, but possible, £100 scenario.

I was quoting to give context to my response, as is usual on other forums.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by mgcjag » Wed May 10, 2023 7:43 pm

A good start would be 50% of cost......call them for a price....re quotes..you can edit it down if needed.....were not like other car forums..were far better than that :bigrin:
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Atomlinson275
Great Britain

#13 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Atomlinson275 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:56 pm

I bought the Jaguar classic mild steel system and the quality is not very good for the money.
The middle silencer assembly which is basically two silencers side by side welded together, were twisted!!
Worse than that, I couldn't fit them as the mounting points did not match the floor mounting points by 15 mm!!??
The problem is that the floor rails, that the rubber mounts attached to, are converging as they run to the rear and so not parrallel. The silencer assembly mounting points do not allow for this convergence, so consequently the rear silencer attachment points are 15 mm too far apart.
Jaguar classic would not deny that there was a problem but would only offer a refund or a replacement. I got the impression they know there's an issue but are not concerned enough to warrant changing the design. I could cut and reweld the silencer attachment points to make fit but really!!??? I struggle to understand Jaguar classics lack of commitment to get things right.

A refund is now on the cards and after much research, it appears that Classic Fabs is the best option and should fit correctly!!??
Watch this space.......

Andy

1966 4.2 FHC
1989 Porsche 944
1995 LR Defender
1969 Daimler V8
1976 Triumph Bonnaville
1971 Kawasaki Z1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#14 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Simonpfhc » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:25 am

Hi there (what’s your name?),

I recently fitted a Jaguar Heritage exuast and it certainly wasn’t mis-aligned as yours. I reckon yours has been damaged in storage or shipping. Mine fitted perfectly. Whatever your decision, you definitely need to return yours and either get a replacment or refund.

Go for replacment - the mild steel systems sounds beautiful! However, so does fhe Etype Fabs system! :shrug:
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#15 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by johnetype » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:10 am

I had the same problem fitting my mild steel heritage system and had to use spacers to make up for the mis-aligned mounting brackets - oh and the new apprentice had been practising on the welds on mine just like yours :bigrin: That was some years ago so it looks as though they are still learning.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Atomlinson275
Great Britain

#16 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Atomlinson275 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:36 am

Simonpfhc wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:25 am
Hi there (what’s your name?),

I recently fitted a Jaguar Heritage exuast and it certainly wasn’t mis-aligned as yours. I reckon yours has been damaged in storage or shipping. Mine fitted perfectly. Whatever your decision, you definitely need to return yours and either get a replacment or refund.

Go for replacment - the mild steel systems sounds beautiful! However, so does fhe Etype Fabs system! :shrug:
Hi Simon,
Sorry, names Andy.
I'm new to this forum in terms of posting messages etc. I need to check how to add my name? 🙄
I'm getting a refund from JLR for the silencer assembly only. I will keep the rest of it in mild steel and fit Classic Fab's SS silencer. Hope it will retain the mild steel sound?
Something else to note is that I believe that for my year 1966, and props from 1961?, the original down pipes and intermediate pipes were painted black. JLR's are all silver?
Interesting that there some other people on this forum that have had exactly the same problem as I had with mounting.
Cheers.
Andy
Andy

1966 4.2 FHC
1989 Porsche 944
1995 LR Defender
1969 Daimler V8
1976 Triumph Bonnaville
1971 Kawasaki Z1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Atomlinson275
Great Britain

#17 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Atomlinson275 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:52 am

johnetype wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:10 am
I had the same problem fitting my mild steel heritage system and had to use spacers to make up for the mis-aligned mounting brackets - oh and the new apprentice had been practising on the welds on mine just like yours :bigrin: That was some years ago so it looks as though they are still learning.
Hi John,
Interesting. Was yours an issue with the spacing between the rear mounts not matching the lugs on the silencer? My front pair fitted spot on. It was the rear pair that didn't align as the rubber mounts are closer together. The lugs on the silencer should be 'inside' the lugs on the rubber mounts to allow the silencer to be pushed up as tight to the floor as possible.
Their quality control is letting them down.
Also JLR don't supply the sealing rings that go between the manifold and down pipes.
Andy

1966 4.2 FHC
1989 Porsche 944
1995 LR Defender
1969 Daimler V8
1976 Triumph Bonnaville
1971 Kawasaki Z1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#18 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by AshM » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:07 pm

I sold my Classic Fabs exhaust system on here for £800. It had done 2,700 miles.

Same reason; too loud for touring (but beautifully engineered).

Put a Bell SS on from SNGB - delighted.

Cheers
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#19 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by johnetype » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:34 pm

Atomlinson275 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:52 am
johnetype wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:10 am
Interesting. Was yours an issue with the spacing between the rear mounts not matching the lugs on the silencer?
As best as I remember, it was the rears that were worse. I did note that my chassis rails weren't parallel but I've got a new 2 piece Robey floor fitted so didn't know if the lack of parallelism was due to Robey or accurately reflects the factory design.

My downpipes came one silver and one black which I queried when I collected it since the exhaust is sold as "aluminised". The Jaguar dealership that I ordered the exhaust through had already noticed this and gone back to the factory to query. The answer they got was that "back in the day the downpipes were painted one black and one silver so that on the production line it was easy to know which was the front and which was the rear one. The ones supplied are exact replicas of the original". :lol:

I removed the black paint - which washed of much more easily than I'd anticipated - and sprayed the previously black downpipe with a rattle can of aluminium paint. It's interesting to note that some years on the downpipe I sprayed is still looking like new whereas the "aluminised" one supplied by JLR is pockmarked with rust.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Atomlinson275
Great Britain

#20 Re: E-Type Fabs / Classic Fabs Exhaust System Price?

Post by Atomlinson275 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:23 pm

Just an update on my JLR mild steel silencer that doesn't fit properly -
So I returned the silencer to JLR and they refunded me, no problem. I have retained the JLR mild steel pipes and chromed rear muffler.
So I was hoping to fit the Classic Fabs Stainless steel middle silencer to the JLR pipes but unfortunately they have there own hanging system for the middle silencer assembly which definitely looks to be a vast improvement and allows the assembly to fit really well but is not standard i.e. it doesn't use the standard rubber mounts.
As I am wanting to fit a system as close to stock as possible (hence going the JLR route) I wanted to look elsewhere for a suitable middle silencer assembly.
So after some further investigation I went for the stainless steel Bell silencer assembly. (JLR are the only mild steel suppliers that I could find) This is exactly the same to look at, externally, as the JLR unit but is Stainless steel. When the Bell silencer arrived the plan was to trial fit it and then spray with aluminium colour high temp paint to look like the original which had an aluminised finish.

Guess what? It also didn't fit for the same reasons !! The front and rear pairs of lugs, on the silencer assembly, were slightly closer together, meaning that the front pair of lugs needed spacer washers (no problem). However the rear lugs where still too wide apart such that they cannot slide up inside the corresponding lug on the rubber mount. I think most people/garages ignore this problem and fit it incorrectly with these rear lugs located on the outside of the rubber mounting lugs and add spacers OR bend the lugs up and inboard, meaning the silencer potentially ends up hanging too low. OR just bolt it up without spacers and put stress into the rubber which ultimately looks wrong and is drastically reducing the life of the rubber mounts. Also note that if the silencer lug is on the outside of the rubber mounting lug, you will not be able to get the silencer nicely tucked up between the floor rails as the vertical adjustment is lost.
This appears to be a common problem with all available suppliers of these silencers as I could not find any that had correctly positioned lugs or at least positioned so that they fit up inside the rubber mounts rather than the front being inside and the rear being outside.
To make the Bell units fit nicely within the rubber mounting lugs, I decided to cut off the rear lugs, grind down the horizontal part of the bracket and weld the lugs back on, giving the correct distance apart to fit nicely inside the rubber mounts. (Possibly negating any warranty I may have had!!??)
The only problem with this modification is that the space left between the silencer lug and the silencer body is much reduced, meaning getting the nut in position is tricky. I think looking at photos of original systems as well as watching a great video on Chucks 'Monocoque Metalworks' YouTube channel, that originally the twin silencers were quite a lot narrower than the replacement silencers being made today. This then gives you more space between the lug and the silencer body. Perhaps this is the reason they now have the lugs too far apart?
What I find very hard to believe is that, apart from Classic Fabs, no other exhaust manufacturer makes this middle silencer assembly such that it can be fitted 'off the shelf' as originally intended between the rubber mounts.(Happy to be corrected)
When you consider the Bell stainless steel assembly alone is £400! To have to cut and tig weld the assembly to make it fit properly, is not very satisfactory!! but if they are all like this, we have no choice?

So in conclusion, the JLR silencer assembly part No. C23869, may well be manufactured to the original Jaguar drawings but they don't fit properly as they appear to assume the floor rails, that the rubber mounts are bolted to, are parallel when they are actually converging, as they run to the rear of the car. (i.e. wider at the front than they are at the rear)
I would say that most, if not all, of the other aftermarket silencer suppliers, manufacture the front and rear sets of silencer lugs, the same distance apart? How can they possibly fit properly!
I wonder if perhaps back in 1961 Jaguar, or their subcontractor, built the very first silencer assembly from the original drawings. Then when it was fitted up they discovered it needed the rear lugs to be moved inboard to allow for the floor rails not being parallel. They probably modified it to fit and sent this pattern off for mass production without going back and modifying the drawing.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this post and I hope that it is of some help and warning to others that if you want to fit a standard silencer assembly 'properly' you will most likely have to cut and weld it!!!
If you go to a garage to have a system fitted, and they don't have the time to modify it, you will probably find that its been fitted wrongly meaning that the rubber mounts will not last very long and that the silencer may be hanging too low under the floor and so prone to being damaged.

I would be happy to hear from anybody who can correct me on any of the above.

I will up load some photos in a following post.
Thanks
Andy

1966 4.2 FHC
1989 Porsche 944
1995 LR Defender
1969 Daimler V8
1976 Triumph Bonnaville
1971 Kawasaki Z1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links