OIL AND DIP STICK

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Hzlotoff1
United States of America

#1 OIL AND DIP STICK

Post by Hzlotoff1 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:56 pm

Would like to know recommended oil for 4.2 E type engine? Also, the dip stick has an F near the end and then above that is a checkered area. Does the F stand for FILL OR FULL? Should levels be in the checkered area?

Thanks ....Howard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#2 Re: OIL AND DIP STICK

Post by rswaffie » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:22 pm

The ‘F’ is more than likely to be an ‘E’ for empty.
The level should be within the cross hatched area, preferably in the upper portion of it. That’s assuming you have the correct dipstick for your car. Plenty of threads on this subject if you search.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: OIL AND DIP STICK

Post by Heuer » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:20 pm

All E-Type dip sticks have an E stamped on them and it does not stand for :banghead: 'Empty'

It is there because it is specific to the E-Type engine, or more correctly the sump design, so no substitutes. The chequered area represents the oil high and low marks so as long as the oil is in that region you are OK. Ideally you should use 20W/50 mineral oil from one of the refiners 'classic' range. Two things to consider:

1. Do not overfill as the big ends will strike the oil and cause it to froth resulting in oil starvation damage
2. After draining the oil/replacing filter refill with the correct measured amount (15 imperial pints, 18 US pints, 8.5 litres) which will give you the correct level on the dip stick for future reference
3. Make sure the dipstick is perfectly straight from the cap downwards otherwise it can route itself behind the sump baffle giving a wildly incorrect reading
4. There should be a felt seal under the dip stick cap and many are missing. Available from the usuals as part C.17585
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: OIL AND DIP STICK

Post by Gfhug » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:29 pm

You might find this topic interesting:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19928

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul bow
Great Britain

#5 Re: OIL AND DIP STICK

Post by Paul bow » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:38 pm

Heuer… I looked for this felt seal as my dipstick reads too much oil, albeit I know it has 8.5 litres of valvoline finest in its sump! and the E stamped on the bottom..
The felt seal C.17585 (without the dot) I could not find, I checked SNG and robey and neither sell it or show it in their pages, i have never seen one on an e type, can I confirm with you that it’s an E type that has these? Seems strange that neither list the part in question.
Many thanks
Previously...S1 OTS E type (sold)
S1 2+2 manual. (Sold)
S2 rhd OTS full resto finished 8/23
S1 3.8 coupe (full restoration yet to start!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: OIL AND DIP STICK

Post by Heuer » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:11 pm

Yes, the E-Type requires the felt washer for both sealing and correct oil fill measurement. It seems the seals are no longer available and even when they were they are specified for the saloons and too big.

Not tried it myself but someone suggested Boots felt corn plasters have the correct dimensions and fit perfectly. Worth a go and please report back accordingly :thumbsup:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul bow
Great Britain

#7 Re: OIL AND DIP STICK

Post by Paul bow » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:29 pm

Absolutely perfect, I shall get myself down there in the morning .. many thanks 👍
Previously...S1 OTS E type (sold)
S1 2+2 manual. (Sold)
S2 rhd OTS full resto finished 8/23
S1 3.8 coupe (full restoration yet to start!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#8 Re: OIL AND DIP STICK

Post by malcolm » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:43 am

I just bought a felt dipstick washer from SNG

There is an issue on the site where if you put your specific model in (like 2+2) it doesn't show up! But they stock it. I phoned them and the guy told me how to view it by searching without a specific model, and there it was. Suggest you ring them.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic