How Do You Stay Organized?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Dad
Canada

#1 How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by Dad » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:00 pm

It occurred to me recently that my own way of trying to stay organized during a big job (or, for that matter, any sized job) is probably (definitely) not ideal, and I realized I'd been wondering about this for quite some time without having the courage to ask. I tend to use a variety of old containers (things like margarine tubs etc.) for small items while trying to just lay bigger things out in a sensible order I hope I'll remember when it comes time for reassembly. If I get concerned my golden thread might not lead me back out of the maze well enough, I have been known to resort to sharpies and phone snaps, but that's as sophisticated as I get.

It *usually* works, but can be severely disrupted when life gets in the way and a job gets split up into multiple sessions with sizeable intermissions.

Is there a right/proper/'best practice' way of doing this? Do professional mechanics get taught specifically how to stay organized through a big job? Lord knows how I'd cope with a really big job. How on earth do people stay organized properly when doing something like a full front end tear-down and restoration?

Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks.
1966 s1 FHC 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#2 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by DWW » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:24 pm

Space is an important factor here and has direct bearing on the work flow. The bottom line being what you feel comfortable with, so one ends up developing ones own system which is individual to that person. I think working in tandem with the service manual is a good start.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by mgcjag » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:45 pm

If your not sure what your doing then photograph everything as you remove it ...every nut/bolt..you then have a complete record to use in reverse for assembly..Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#4 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by bitsobrits » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:10 pm

I use lists and lots of photos to help me keep track of the bits. For example, before I throw parts into a plastic bin for temp storage (I bought 24 bins from an online supplier!) I photograph the parts and label the photos with the bin #, so I can just look at my phone to know where things are. Lists are to keep track of parts/assemblies that will need a rebuild, replacement, plating, or powder coat. Complex projects get subfolders for the photos, again, accessible via my phone.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Airborne62
United States of America

#5 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by Airborne62 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:45 pm

Photograph constantly. Use sandwich bags for parts and write on the bag with a black sharpie. You won't remember anything. Drop small notes in the bag with the part if necessary.
Eventually, you will spend a ridiculous amount of time searching through your photos...
Store old parts and fasteners that won't be used in one place. Keep anything that is not a common part.
Airborne62
'62 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Dad
Canada

#6 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by Dad » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:41 pm

*Many* thanks for everyone's replies. All of it makes sense. I am, however, still in awe of people who can do major tear-downs and restoration jobs and somehow magically keep track of everything. I have tons of space and am really lucky to have a huge shop, so I have no excuses.
1966 s1 FHC 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#7 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by christopher storey » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:33 am

I bought a range of plastic sealable bags ( several hundred in all ) in different sizes. Each was numbered as it was filled, and I kept a spreadsheet in both electronic and manual form showing the part identity and the number . The bags were stored in numerical order, and to find any given part it was merely a case of using control-f on the spreadsheet

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#8 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by rfs1957 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:53 am

My only contribution to this would have to be that there is no substitute for a written log, during dismantling, to highlight actions required, marks noticed, parts needed, bolts to order/replace, re-build points to watch out for - accompanied by sketches where necessary.

HOWEVER, doing it in a "book" is NOT the best way, as I'm realising - as you then have to go hunting through page after page where everything is mixed together.

Far better to divide the car up into specific subjects/objects, and make notes on loose-leaf pages that can then be stocked according to those categories ; in that way you can consult your notes from 5, 10 or 20 years ago without having to trawl back through book after book to find the relevant topics.

Like I'm doing right now :scratchheadyellow:
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#9 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by Allrand » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:20 am

Of course applying proper project management principles is the way to go. Im a project manager but somehow never apply those principles to my car projects! 😁
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#10 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by 44DHR » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:34 am

Only just seen this post, but in addition to taking loads of digital photos, to answer the question on how I stay organised when I tear assemblies apart is to take a trip to my local supermarket and collect dozens of what I call “banana boxes”. These are long, flat stackable cardboard boxes which fruit is delivered and the store is only to happy for me to take them away.
I carefully choose matching boxes so the stacking lugs all match and also pick the best boxes without too many holes punched in the bases, so small parts cannot drop through. These boxes are strong and are used for the larger assemblies plus depending on the box depth, can be stacked to quite a height. For smaller parts, I also use the smaller beer surround cardboard bases - this usually requires drinking quite a lot of beer, but I am prepared for that challenge !
The benefit of both storage facilities is that I can write on the cardboard and even punch fittings and bolts through the cardboard showing in the direction and orientation from their original location directly marked onto the storage unit. Once finished, the cardboard is disposed of by recycling.
Cheers,
Dave

Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Dad
Canada

#11 Re: How Do You Stay Organized?

Post by Dad » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:28 pm

Genius, Dave! Especially engineering a means by which more beer must be consumed out of duty.

So I'll now be taking a lot more pictures (and videos!), taking notes (loose leaf!), keeping small parts in sharpied ziplocs aligned with a tracking sheet, using carefully-curated stacking boxes and drinking more beer.

Once again, many thanks for all the helpful replies.
1966 s1 FHC 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic