Exhaust manifold nuts loosening

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
dlgis
Great Britain

#1 Exhaust manifold nuts loosening

Post by dlgis » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:35 pm

Hi All, I’ve never managed to cure my problem of the downpipe to exhaust manifold nuts loosening up. I have stainless steel downpipes and standard cast manifolds, and use Nordlock washers on the studs. The car’s been used 4 or 5 times since the last time the downpipes were removed, and after each use I need to tighten up all 8 stud nuts. So for example, yesterday, the car was driven for 200 miles and afterwards (when cold) I again had to tighten all 8 nuts, with the worse ones requiring approx a 1/4 turn and the best just needing nipping up.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Would it be any less of a problem with mild steel downpipes? At some stage I want to invest in some new manifolds as the coating on the current ones has disappeared so perhaps that coupled with new studs might resolve it? :scratchheadyellow:
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#2 Re: Exhaust manifold nuts loosening

Post by DWW » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:03 pm

Yes I had that too which reminds me to check again, I will tomorrow. It will be good if someone has a solution though......
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#3 Re: Exhaust manifold nuts loosening

Post by bitsobrits » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:11 am

Your sealing 'donut' maybe on the verge of failure, causing the joint to lose tension.

Back a couple of E types ago, when I ran the factory manifolds with stock type downpipes, I used stainless steel studs with unlubricated double height brass nuts and basic stainless lock washers. The brass nuts were squeaky tight, and never loosened once tight. Nor did they seize/gall on the studs. The studs I was using (and pretty much the only studs I use if possible) are made by ARP and are a high tensile stainless alloy with beautifully formed rolled threads. ARP are the folks that make rod bolts/studs and cylinder head studs for the racing community. Pricey, but last forever.
Last edited by bitsobrits on Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
dlgis
Great Britain

#4 Re: Exhaust manifold nuts loosening

Post by dlgis » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:08 pm

Thanks bitso, I have used ARP products before and as you say they are highly rated. I’m currently using the double height brass nuts with the stainless Nordlock washers, and the “donuts” are fairly new. Studs however haven’t been replaced. I’ll change those for ARP if the problem continues and I splash out for new manifolds 👍
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic