Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Thim
Norway

#1 Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Thim » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:37 pm

Hello, I hope there is someone out there who has their E-type LWB, specifically series 1 2+2 1967 is possible, who could share some photos of their doors and the window frame fitment. (Photos of the seals around the frame are also very much wanted)

Both doors are a bit too wide to fit inside the door. Especially, the left door. After some modifications to the door I have managed to squeeze it in, but the cut-out in the frame is resting on the door which has cracked the paint... is this section supposed to fit inside the door, or is it supposed to be ground / cut to be over the door? please see the images and maybe share your own if you have any.

My doors are new and the chrome has not been installed in these doors before. The door and car are painted, so I don't want to cut in it, but the frame will need to be re-chromed. Hence, I can and have already done some modifications to it.

And is the stud / bracket which holds the window frame in place identical for both the front and rear? the length do seems to be different with some margin.

Any help / photos of general LWB window frames would be much appreciated to help with the installation.

Jaguar E-type s1, 1967 2+2. Under restoration by myself, slowly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel 👍

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Simonpfhc » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:41 am

Hi Thim (Is that your name?),

I recently finished building a 67 2+2. I have attached some pictures of the door frame fitment in the area you highlight. There is a chrome trim which fits down the side of the windscreen that should fill that gap to match the door.

I can’t remember the length of the studs in the base of the door, but they should probably be about the same length as the two brackets they bolt to are of the same thickness. Either way, the length is not critical.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Thim
Norway

#3 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Thim » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:37 pm

Simonpfhc wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:41 am
Hi Thim (Is that your name?),

I recently finished building a 67 2+2. I have attached some pictures of the door frame fitment in the area you highlight. There is a chrome trim which fits down the side of the windscreen that should fill that gap to match the door.

I can’t remember the length of the studs in the base of the door, but they should probably be about the same length as the two brackets they bolt to are of the same thickness. Either way, the length is not critical.
Thank you Simon. This is amazing, I'm struggling on the door part since I did not have any doors on my car when I started the restoration, 11 years ago 🙄...

This helps, but du you have an photo of the door frame were it meets the door at the A-post? There is a section which which is partially grinded off from factory which seems the part that take up my wiggle room... I will see if I can get some details photos in the weekend.

and yes, my name is Thim 👍😉
Jaguar E-type s1, 1967 2+2. Under restoration by myself, slowly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel 👍

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Gfhug » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:56 pm

Thim, we are encouraged not to use quotes as it takes up valuable server space, only doing so when really needed and you can easily delete unneeded parts to reduce to a minimum amount of quote.

Regards

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#5 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Simonpfhc » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:32 pm

Unfortunately, these are the only photos I have.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Thim
Norway

#6 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Thim » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:10 pm

Ofc, I will use the regular reply 😉

Simon, that's ok. Do you still own this jaguar etype 2+2? I located your Instagram, great work.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#7 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by abowie » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:04 am

Pragmatically, your new doors don't fit your window frames. This is not unheard of.

From your photos, it does appear that your doors fit the body.

I think the smart thing to do is to grind your window frames down to fit your doors. Horrible, I know, but they are chrome plated brass I think, and corrosion shouldn't be a problem.

The length of the two mounting studs should be ok. When adjusting the window frames to fit the bodywork it can be surprising just how much leeway is required at the bottom to get the top of the frame in the correct position.

Once you have this all done the chrome cover at the top of the door should cover a multitude of sins.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#8 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Simonpfhc » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:46 am

Thim wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:10 pm
Do you still own this jaguar etype 2+2? I located your Instagram, great work.
Thanks Thim. It was a customers car that I built up for him, so no, I don’t own it. If you have other fitment questions, just let me know as I have a load of photos not on my FB/Insta accounts.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Thim
Norway

#9 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Thim » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:15 pm

Thank you Simon, I guess all the images I can get for the interior part of a 2+2 and especially the doors, are highly appreciated as I don't know much about it.

If you have some of the door handles too it would be great. I can't seem to find any seal around the door handles, but I find it hard to believe the chrome door handles are hard metal to paint contact with the door. Surely that must cause paint to crack and corrode in the long run. Any images of of this area would be nice as this is my next focus point before christmas :)

Appreciate the help ;)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Thim
Norway

#10 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Thim » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:20 pm

Thank you Abowie,

as you say I need to adjust my window frames indeed. The doors was fitted to the car before paint, but I forgot the chrome frames. I have made them fit the car not, by some "gently" use of the 500g Hammer and a fingerband-grinder :) They need to be re-chromed anyway.

But which top door cover are you talking about? I don't have any sins (at least not yeat) in the paint job, are you thinking of the top inside part of the door itself? Can I expect that I need to cut/grind away some sheet metal to make the door fit? Any elaboration of this would be appreciated. I plan to send the frame to re-chrome in early 2024 as I have made them able to fit inside the door at least. :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#11 Re: Series 1 LWB / (2+2) window frame fitment

Post by Simonpfhc » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:51 am

Hi Thim,

I have a load of interior pictures from the 2+2 build, so I’ll send you a link.

The chrome door handles are just bolted straight to the painted metal with no seal. That’s how they came from the factory.

The door cover Andrew mentioned is the chrome trim that goes along the top of the door and also the chrome that covers the side of the windscreen also helps cover the door area.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic