Front gearbox oil seal

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Andersen
Denmark

#1 Front gearbox oil seal

Post by Andersen » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:07 am

There seems to be 2 different types of front gearbox oil seals (the seal that is sitting in the bottom of the bell housing). One type has a flange - the other type hasn't. My gearbox/bell housing had the flanged version, but when I ordered a new one, I received one without a flange. Are they interchangeable just like that? Or will the one without a flange just fall out? There isn't anything holding it - it is just sitting in the hole.
The two photos should show the difference. the flanged type has an additional small "lip".

Part number C18739

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#2 Re: Front gearbox oil seal

Post by Simonpfhc » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:07 am

Hi Andersen,

I’m not sure if there should be a flange or not, but either way, the seal should be a very tight, interference fit and should not ever fall out; the flange should not affect whether it falls out or not.

Also, I’m not too sure whether the flange would make any difference as there is not a specific location for the radial sealing lip to sit on the input shaft of the gearbox.

Others with more experience I’m sure will be more precise.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Front gearbox oil seal

Post by mgcjag » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:01 am

What's your name....please try to put it with your car model in the signture area....what bellhouseing/gearbox do you have....the Jaguar parts catalogue will show the correct part number....dont forget that suppliers are ofter selling aftermarket parts and listing them with the Jaguar part number.....the Service manual section for a 4 syncro box shows a cross section drawing...the seal is shown with a lip fitted from inside the houseing..you will have to check the part number for your actual set up...Steve..
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#4 Re: Front gearbox oil seal

Post by angelw » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:44 pm

Anderson Wrote:
Are they interchangeable just like that? Or will the one without a flange just fall out? There isn't anything holding it -
Hello Anderson,
The seal with the flange is correct for where the First Motion Shaft passes through the rear face of the Bell Housing. Without the flange, there is no shoulder in the bore of the Bell Housing for the Seal to seat squarely against. The flange seating against the machined face will accomplish that.The lip of the seal towards the gearbox.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic