Open bonnet lock bracket

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
44DHR
Great Britain

#1 Open bonnet lock bracket

Post by 44DHR » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:32 pm

On a wet and windy afternoon yesterday, I decided to while away the time making a useful glove box tool for use to keep the open bonnet in position.
If the car is parked uphill or in windy conditions, to avoid unnecessary decapitation to oneself or a hapless spectator inspecting the engine, this locking tool does the job.
I cannot claim ownership of this idea as I saw Tony Batten’s idea of a similar bracket in the October 2023 issue of the JEC magazine, but I have modified the idea to make the lock work between the Balance Link spring mountings and the “stop plate” directly above it.
Rather than sharply bend a mild steel clip like Tony did, I decided to fabricate a simple bracket from a cheap 12 inch alloy ruler, (cleaning off the measurement details with paint thinners), with a 4mm thick alloy spacer shimmed out with 4mm diameter washers to give a bracket opening of 7.25mm to slip over the top link and join the lower mounting points.
Could be of interest to others with those cars that have this form of bonnet balance link ?
Cheers,
Dave

Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Open bonnet lock bracket

Post by Gfhug » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:52 pm

Dave, hats off to a neat and useful mod. I’m fortunate that our S2 has the gas strut to hold the bonnet up otherwise would follow your example.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic