Cylinder rust

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
twoplustwo
Great Britain

#1 Cylinder rust

Post by twoplustwo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

My first question for the forum so hopefully the right place.

So having freed up the seized engine fairly easily and using a scope to view the cylinders we could see there was a fair bit of rust inside. We have taken the head off and cleaned out the cylinders which are mostly ok, however one of them is really bad (see attached picture).

Was wondering what would be the best course of action from here? Is there any chance for the engine without a full rebuild etc?

Many thanks
Matt

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sander
Denmark

#2 Re: Cylinder rust

Post by Sander » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:05 pm

The short answer is: no you need a complete engine rebuild. As far as I can see on the picture you need at least one new cylinder liner. I don't think it is possible to fix the rusty cylinder by just machining it. Sorry no easy way :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Jesper

E-Type FHC, 1965 * XK120 OTS, 1950 * Volvo P1800S, 1964 * Volvo 145, 1972 * MGB, 1966 * Land Rover S3, 1972 * VW Golf 1 Cabriolet, 1980

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#3 Re: Cylinder rust

Post by DWW » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:25 pm

Since you have nothing to lose, get a honing attachment tool for your electric drill and give it a try….
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#4 Re: Cylinder rust

Post by tim wood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:10 pm

Looking at the pits near the top of that cylinder in my opinion it’s finished. No hope of boring those out.
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phoenix
Great Britain

#5 Re: Cylinder rust

Post by phoenix » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 am

I am building a 4.2 MK1 for someone who had his engine rebuilt about 10 years ago and when we first ran the engine we found low compression on 3 cylinders. He had not turned it over or introduced oil into the cylinders for all of that time. I had to have 3 liners replaced and new rings. It was cheaper that way than over boring all the cylinders as they were new pistons . Runs great now. P.S. do not do what I did after refitting the engine and running up wing the front still in the air. The oil built up in the rear of the rocker cover and I had tremendous smoke out of the exhaust for the rear 3 cylinders .
S1 4.2 RHD Bryan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic