S2 wiring and bulkhead holes

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
UK Muppet

#1 S2 wiring and bulkhead holes

Post by UK Muppet » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:45 pm

I am in the process of a left to rhd conversion on my S2 2+2 and have been refitting the wiring looms. However, on connecting the right hand loom at the top of the rh footwell, I seem to have some wires left over. There is a double bullet connector on the end of the dash loom with what looks to be 2 red/black wires. I haven't been able to find them on the wiring diagram. All the body side loom wires are connected so I am wondering if the 2 wires are just joined together at this point. Any ideas?

Whilst in the rh footwell, there is a hole with a cutout on each side, I can't find or think of anything that fits there and I don't have a grommet for it, if it should have one. Again, any ideas?

On the other side of the bulkhead/tunnel I have another hole which is a mystery to me, its below the blanking plate I made which covers the hole left after removal of the AC. I can only think it should have a grommet but do any wires pass through it or is it just a blank?

Thanks in advance.
Tony
69 Series 2 2+2 auto

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jack the lad
Great Britain

#2 Re: S2 wiring and bulkhead holes

Post by Jack the lad » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 pm

The rubber lucar bullet connector as shown in your photo comes in 2 types. The first is a common connector that connects all wires inserted into it together. The second types are insulated from each other which means that of the 4 wires two sets of 2 are connected. With this information someone will be able to assist you. It is usual for RED/Black when combined on a wire trace colour to be left-hand side lamp fuse to side and tail lamps and number plate illumination. This is a common code on British car wiring. cheers John.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jack the lad
Great Britain

#3 Re: S2 wiring and bulkhead holes

Post by Jack the lad » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:54 pm

I know I have seen that strange hole and after much thought, I think it may be where the chrome bonnet locking handle fits. The two cut outs are for the "U" clips to sit in that hold than handle on. Does it align with the bonnet lock on the engine side? cheers John.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
UK Muppet

#4 Re: S2 wiring and bulkhead holes

Post by UK Muppet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:25 am

Thanks for the replies John, the hole with the cutouts is on the side of the tunnel inside the footwell, so nowhere near the bonnet release I'm afraid.
Tony
Tony
69 Series 2 2+2 auto

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jack the lad
Great Britain

#5 Re: S2 wiring and bulkhead holes

Post by Jack the lad » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:08 pm

Hi Tony,
could you please take a better photo, perhaps from the other side of the bulkhead, I am having trouble deciding where to look for it on my car, or perhaps use your flash and be a little further away would help, cheers John.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
UK Muppet

#6 Re: S2 wiring and bulkhead holes

Post by UK Muppet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:31 pm

I found the answers for the holes after searching through my photos from almost 11 years ago when I started the dismantling. No wonder I can't remember where things go.
The car had the wiring for the wiper motor etc passing through a grommet in this hole. weird why it would have the cutouts.

The other hole I questioned has a matching one on the other side of the tunnel, these are for the drain tubes of the AC evaporator. I have now omitted the AC due to the RHD conversion so could not get any idea of what went in the holes, after some head scratching studying the photos something clicked in the memory bank.
Tony
Tony
69 Series 2 2+2 auto

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic