Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Phil P
Great Britain

#1 Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Post by Phil P » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:41 pm

I need some help with the routing of my external vacuum pipes.
I'm assembling the car and when it was stripped many years ago the vacuum pipes were made up of rubber hose across the bulkhead. I've bought new copper pipes but want to know whether they go inboard of the engine frames adjacent to the engine or otherwise. For example should the one with the T piece go outside agent to the steering column housing?
If anyone has any photos that will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil
Phil P
1965 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Post by caveman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

Hi Phil,
It’s difficult to find photographs of ‘our’ early cars vacuum pipe routing, but here’s a couple to start with:
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Post by caveman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Hi Phil,
Just checked my car;
The two pipes that come across the bulkhead are together all the way across and as per my previous photos. On my RHD, when they part on drivers side, one continues across and below the wiper motor before a 90° bend takes it down to the T piece and one way valve that then attaches to reservac vacuum tank. This pipe is out side of steering shaft.
The second vacuum pipe, again on drivers side, drops down towards starter motor and inboard (engine block side) of steering shaft. It then turns 90°(now points outbound) and attaches to a flex pipe to the white plastic valve at end of MC. This passes under the steering shaft.
On passenger side, they follow the routing as per photo 1 & 2 before turning 90° in towards brake servo unit and again attached via flexi hoses.
I hope this helps.
Last edited by caveman on Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Phil P
Great Britain

#4 Re: Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Post by Phil P » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:17 pm

Hi Steve,
What a great description of the routing; so clear. When I'm down at my unit tomorrow I'll offer them up and come back to you.
Many thanks,
Phil
Phil P
1965 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#5 Re: Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Post by caveman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:26 pm

:salute:
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Phil P
Great Britain

#6 Re: Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Post by Phil P » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:29 am

Thank you Steve. I offered the pipe up yesterday and can see how it lines up with the Reservac check valve but the side "T" in that area is half way down the pedal housing so connection to the rear of the master cylinder is not easy. I'm not convinced how good the parts that I've bought are and may fabricate my own to make the installation look tidier.
Many thanks again.
Phil
Phil P
1965 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#7 Re: Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Post by caveman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:32 pm

That’s good news Phil.
With reference to the ‘T’ junction, near end of metal pipe run. Mine is 9” (23cm) approx. from bulkhead. The T piece is quite close to the Clutch MC (and steering shaft output) but has a small length flexi hose attached that goes to white plastic reaction valve connector. Space is of a premium in that area. I found the following photo for guidance.
Ignore Red lines in this image:
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Phil P
Great Britain

#8 Re: Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Post by Phil P » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:52 pm

Hi Steve,
I've checked the dimension to the "T" and in mine its 6in against the 9in of yours which probably explains why I'm having difficulty.

As you can see from the photos of my car (blue) - when the pipe is attached to the firewall with the central clips and with the "T" in a position that will allow the pipe from the rear master cylinder to clear the underside of the clutch master cylinder, the pipe stands off at an angle to the firewall.

I've also found a web photo (attached) that shows a car with pipes neatly attached to the firewall and hoses to form the connections. Definitely not standard but much tidier.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

Phil P
1965 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#9 Re: Early 4.2 S1 RHD - External Vacuum Pipe Routing

Post by caveman » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 pm

Hi Phil,
So close. I think if you put the flexi hoses on first you may well have the end result you require :fingerscrossed:
Small lengths of flex are tricky to get in place in and around the end of the T piece but with engine out you shouldn’t lose too much skin. The bulkhead brackets sit flat with the 3 pipes, one on top of the other, with thinnest ‘fluid’ pipe at top, where the bracket kicks in to take smaller dia pipe.
Your T metal is just touching the lower clutch MC nut, my T flexi hose just touches at same point so you are close. Most (all) pipes seen do sit at an angle off the bulkhead. Note that in your photo #3 (RH side) the distance of first vertical drop to 90° left bend, sits 3” away from bulkhead on my car, other than that, your pipe run looks very similar. Nice colour BTW.
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic