re enamelling exhaust manifolds

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 re enamelling exhaust manifolds

Post by andrewh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:31 pm

I have spotted that one or two of the really concours standard spec restorations appear to have re enamelled exhaust manifolds fitted. Does anyone know who does this work please? I love the stainless manifolds, they are so beautiful, but I am going to try restore as standard, so an enamel pair is what is needed!
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#2 Re: re enamelling exhaust manifolds

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Andrew,

I have never seen enamelling stay for very long on a car that is driven and it is very expensive. If you get the timing wrong, and the car is running hotter than it should, it will burn off. A friend of mine went out in the rain and it all flaked off so, you might be really disappointed. I didn't know what to do with mine until someone said that they had solved it by using barbeque paint. Being the eternal sceptic, I had mine blasted first and then painted them. That was about 6 thousand miles ago and they still look good. Not enamel but a satin black finish - and very cheap!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

daverawle
Great Britain

Post by daverawle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:22 pm

I had mine done by CamCoat - very expensive and after a couple of thousand miles it looks just like bar-b-q paint.

Dave
1963 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ahrbruz
Canada

#4 Exhaust Manifold

Post by ahrbruz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:34 am

Better yet, if you can find it, "stove paint". This is a product for cast iron stoves that use wood as a fuel. I've used it, and it lasts and lasts. When I tried barbeque paint, it turned sort of grey after few months.

Cheers,

Bruce

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:38 am

thanks guys, that all sounds a bit depressing! Maybe I will revert to the stainless steel option after all. Ummh. shame. I cant see why the enamelling, if thats what it actually is, should be so poor, as originally they were quite durable. As you will know this was carried over on all XK engined Jags to my knowledge, and even my dads old XJ6 with 75k on the clock the manifolds were not that bad. More digging needed I think. thx
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:27 am

In the US people have had good experience with a company called Jet-Hot (I think that is the name - try a search on Jag Lovers) but it still does not replicate the high gloss of the original.

The main reason the enamel fails on the E-Type, as compared to various XJ's, is the louvre's on the bonnet. When driving in the rain there is not a problem, but if you brake in the rain water rushes forward through the louvre's and on to the hot manifolds. This causes the enamel to crack and after that the deterioration continues. Any E-Type manifolds you spot that retain their finish have either not been driven in the rain or driven hard.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sulzeruk
Great Britain

Post by sulzeruk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 am

I have used exhaust paint by a company called PJ1. Their paints are for the off road motorcycle market but are an excellent product. They do a high temp gloss paint I have used with good results before,
Alasdair

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:12 pm

thanks guys, and very interesting comments about the water damage on the E Types! I will have to look out all these contacts and chose a way forward. Also going to ask CMC as I see they seem to have them done the original way, at least for a while it will look good!
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

38E
Canada

Post by 38E » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:08 pm

I had an XK150 with over 50,000 miles where the original manifolds were still perfect, shiny black and no cracks. But for some reason, it seems impossible to replicate the original process today. Maybe something to do with lead content, I'm not sure.

When I restored my E-Type, I had the manifolds re-enameled by a local outfit at a cost of only $100 the pair but the guy was up front that it probably wouldn't last. They did look beautiful for a while but after about 1,000 miles the enamel started to crack and flake off, soon becoming quite unsightly. I ended up using one of the modern ceramic coatings, not so attractive but more durable.

So for a concours trailer queen, today's enameling job might do but if you actually want to drive the car, forget it.
Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Andrew : you can buy a pair of proper ceramic coated manifolds as per the originals from SNG Barratt. The originals were vitreous enamel and these are indistinguishable from the originals . Last time I looked they were about ? 230 a pair

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi Christopher. Thanks for the information. I am due to visit them (SNGB) probably next week as I am off to see my family who live not far away.

Will take a look then and try to report back thx a lot
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wol916
Great Britain

Post by wol916 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:56 am

Just for information for those that are interested.
I got the manifolds back after coating last week and I'm very happy with how they turned out.
Decided to go with CAMCOAT in the end as their product has potential for longevity without crazing.
First thing was to dress the surface of the manifold as the coating is very thin and the cast marks will show through. Roughed off with a fine flap disc then finished by hand to get rid of the inevitable small flats the machine creates.

The finished product. Should not craze and will keep the heat in.

How they would have looked without sanding (I did not do the back I'm not that sad)

So worth a day sanding down
Will have to wait to see how the coating holds up as it may be a while before it?s on the road, time will tell as they say :wink:
-------------
Warren
S1 FHC 4.2 OSB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:21 am

I must say they look very impressive indeed. What was the cost if I may ask?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:38 am

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but the FHC I bought recently has Camcoat manifolds and after 900 miles the coating on the front one has turned to dust. I don't think they were pre-treated the way yours were but no idea if that makes a difference.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wol916
Great Britain

Post by wol916 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:06 pm

I am realistic and don't expect this to remain perfect for too long I had hoped for more than 1000 miles though. The coating is done in two stages first the black then a clear coat on top. As for cost - ?176 the pair although when I went to collect them the first time he was not happy with the finish so would not let me take them away and insisted on re-doing the job. So I got a ?20 discount for the inconvenience. They have been heat treated and he assured me it will not crack or flake (will wait and see). The only other advice was to wash with soapy water when cold to keep the shine.
-------------
Warren
S1 FHC 4.2 OSB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:25 pm

I see in the latest E-Type Magazine someone in Hong Kong had their manifolds coated with Zircotec Liquid Black Ceramic with the same results. To be fair Zircotec redid the manifolds three times before withdrawing their Liquid Black product. I seem to think the Angus Moss solution is the best - BBQ paint!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rustyred
Australia

Post by Rustyred » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:24 pm

We have a place in Vic Australia, that does ceramic coatings.
great abrasion resistance and heat buffering, super finish.
Link here
http://www.jet-hot.com.au/
I have had them do a few exhaust manifolds and pipes for me over the years and durability is fantastic, but a little exy.

The good thing about it is the heat aspect, you get very little. We had a set of pipes done for a T Bucket running a Chevy V8 and you could touch the pipes after a run without major burning. Unlike instant singe with standard pipes.

Regards John

PS I don't work for the company so there's no spamming here.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:25 am

Just removed the manifolds from my FHC which had been ceramic coated for the PO by Camcoat. This is what they looked like after 1,000 miles!

Most of the finish has turned to dust.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

daykrolik
United States of America

Post by daykrolik » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:18 pm

I bought a pair from Barratt about a year and a half and 1500 miles ago. They look like the originals and are still like new. But they have not been subjected to rain.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:50 am

Just fitted a new set from SNG to my FHC after a couple of 'proving' cycles in the AGA. The ones on my OTS have faired 50/50 - the rear manifold is in perfect condition after 10,000 very enthusiastic driving miles but the front one has all the enamel cracked simply because it got wet when rain rushed down the bonnet vents when braking. So the Pete Crespin trick of oven proving the manifolds through several hot/cold cycles works but you need to avoid getting them wet!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic