Lower front wishbones

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Lower front wishbones

Post by andrewh » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:40 pm

I have just managed, after much swearing and knuckle bashing to seperate all my front suspension. It is or rather was probably the worst part of the car, having been quietly rusting away for 35 years or so. Anyway, apart from a suspect broken bone in my little finger, dont ask, its all apart. However, I have a question.

In the process of stripping the lower wishbones into the three constituent parts, i have had to use the press. I am now a little concerned that if you offer up the parts again, the hole for the shockabsorber mount will not line up between the two parts of the wishbone. Has anyone else noticed this, and is it a matter of applying pressure or usuing a taper guide when reassembling? I am just concerned that if they are slightly out of line, now is the time to straighten them before they are all tarted up? Thoughts please Gents?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChrisC
Great Britain

Post by ChrisC » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm

I stripped my suspension completely (but used heat not a press), nickel plated everything and it all slid back into place with nothing more than a light coat of copper ease.

You should not need a press for anything in the front suspension unless of course you have bent it...
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Andrew......As per Chris...have recently stripped & rebuilt the front end, had the parts shot blasted & zinc plated & all lined up & went together with ease.........had to remove some of the plating on the wishbone splines to ease in the torsion bars.......you may have a slightly bent arm?......all the best Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

Post by tim wood » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi, I am little way ahead of you on this unenviable task. Stripped the lot right down. Reaction plate out, wishbones off etc. Had to use a press to separate the wishbones and to get the shock bolt absorber out. Once cleaned up I had no trouble in reaseembling the wishbones.
Time consuming job.........
still not finished......

good lcuk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

Post by tim wood » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:11 pm

meant to say, check the splines are all clean and the torsion bars slide in ok. A small triangular file helped me with this. the comment re copper ease is good advice.

Tim

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:17 pm

well thanks guys. It would seem to me that although I did not apply a lot of pressure through the press, there must be a slight misalignment on the lower wishbone. It will be easy enought to straigten though. A job for tomorrow. thx a lot. A
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic