Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Technical advice Q&A

neil4444
Great Britain

#21 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by neil4444 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:57 am

Mine was a self adhesive plate from tippers. It had wax paper backing & protective paper front sheet.
I did it as follows:
1. Clean bonnet thoroughly & dry
2. Mark out the top & side positions on the bonnet with masking tape
3. Spray liberally with window cleaner spray
4. Remove the wax paper backing, place on wetted bonnet & slide into place
5. Using a 'soft edged' credit card (I used my football season ticket) squeegee out the air bubbles & creases
6. Push out as many air bubbles as possible.
7. Wait for it all to dry
8. Peel off the protective front paper
9. Check for any remaining air bubbles & if necessary pierce & flatten. I only had one small bubble remaining but by next day it had disappeared once everything had thoroughly dried out.

HTH
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC
1967 S1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#22 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:29 pm

My problem is the reverse of everyone else's - the number plate is too high up the bonnet and I need to reposition it.
Fortunately I know who fitted it, since it was part of the bonnet repairs in 2014. To be fair to him he stuck it in the same position as the pre accident plate.
Assuming it was stuck on using windowleen or some such, can it be peeled off safely?
My plan is to apply a new one using the old one as a position marker and then remove it.
Comments please.

Thanks

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1962 S1 OTS-850389,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#23 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by MarekH » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Dear Alan,

The liquid used to place it down will have long evaporated away.

If you pull it off quickly, it'll take the paint with it. The only way is to remove it slowly and painfully. If you can use some solvent which does not affect the paint then your task will be made much easier, but once you start, it'll almost certainly make a mess of the plate so you'll have to continue with it all of the way.

You may find that the paint underneath is a slightly different colour or thickness to the rest of the bonnet if enough time has passed.

(To put it on, a water spray works just as well as the proprietory stuff people have mentioned earlier in the thread. Any competent sign writer can cut you a new plate.)

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jivili
Great Britain

#24 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by jivili » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Update to my numberplate question
Jepsons self adhesive plates are exactly the same as the plates you can buy from Framptons ,they are in effect the same company following a buy out of Framptons by Jepsons some years ago
I have benn advised that the method using weak soap solution to fix the plate is the correct method
( I thought I would mention this as I also asked about removing a numberplate should I need to)
To remove a plate as mentioned in a previous post I have been advised to use a hair dryer to apply a gentle heat which will I am told soften the adhesive sufficiently to remove without damaging the paintwork

Hopefully I will get it sorted this weekend :bigrin: and thanks everyone for your input

Regards Dean

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#25 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by Heuer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:57 pm

If the sun shines leave the car standing in it for a couple of hours. The black plate will quickly absorb heat but I would still use your wife's hair drier to help things along. A hair drier will be safe even on high heat as long as you keep it moving. Once you have a corner lifted aim the air beneath the plate a gently ease it off. You will destroy the plate so don't even think about trying to save it.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#26 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:33 pm

I think I'll leave things as they are. I didn't even notice it until some anorak took great pleasure in pointing it out. The number plate is only two-three inches below the bulge and has been there for a long time.
As has already been pointed out there is no definitive position for it so I'll take the tack that mine is correct and everyone else's is wrong. Plus I can't see it when I'm driving.

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1962 S1 OTS-850389,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#27 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by Simon P » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Might be easier and simpler to move the bulge back....

:wink:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stuart Exelby
Great Britain

#28 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by Stuart Exelby » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:51 am

ALAN COCHRANE wrote:Assuming it was stuck on using windowleen or some such, can it be peeled off safely?
Alan - I won't recommend it as I haven't used it, but not only can you get "sticker on" solution, but also "sticker off". I agree with others that I would try heat on a warm day......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hardline-Stic ... xyFiRR1S~w
1967 Series 1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nottsman
Great Britain

#29 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by nottsman » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:52 pm

I have a magnetic front plate that you can remove and move about. PO had it made, so I have no idea if they are still available.
Nick
1969 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jaysabree
Great Britain

#30 Re: Self adhesive numberplate positioning

Post by jaysabree » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:03 pm

I got one adhesive license plate replica from this guys (http://customlicenseplates.us/) a while back and still in perfect conditions!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic