Dashboard removal

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
pcattera

#1 Dashboard removal

Post by pcattera » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:39 am

Can anyone assist. How do I get the dashboard out from my left hand drive series 2. I need to get into the air vents which appear to be blocked and my airconditioner fan is not working. (This is probably an electrical problem so I need to get at the wiring). Regards Peter

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:55 pm

The dash is retained by four nuts - two inside the centre console and one at either end near the window frame. Not sure about the S2 but I think you need to remove the chrome finishers to get to them. If it is an OTS you may need to remove the interior mirror retaining rod unless the mirror is glued on with those models. Quite a simple job to do.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:48 am

Peter, most of the electrical inside the dash is accessible once the under-dash panels are removed. The dash pad is easily removed per David's directions, but small hands are an asset. Out of curiosity, what is the nature of your electrical problem?
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
pcattera

#4 Dasboard removal

Post by pcattera » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:55 am

Thank you both for the info. I will have a crack at removing the dash next week. As to the nature of the electrical problem with the air conditioning. The input fan for the A/C is located above the passenger's footwell and it should come on when switch "A" is activated. (Page 27 service handbook). It does not. This input fan looks identical to the normal air input fan under the bonnet. Switch "A" also starts the compressor clutch and this is working OK. So it could just be a bad contact on this switch. Anyway getting to the back of this switch assembly will certainly help isolate the problem. As to the normal intake fan, this is functioning normally but no air gets into the car and even when driving there is no free air flow into the car with the ducts switched to fully open either directed at the windscreen or interior. So I suspect either a blockage or some type of ducting problem behind the dash. So removing the dash will go a long way to solving both problems. Regards Peter

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic