Gearbox overhaul S2 fhc main shaft removal

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Matthew1970
Australia

#1 Gearbox overhaul S2 fhc main shaft removal

Post by Matthew1970 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:43 am

Series 2 gearbox overhaul, I have removed the counter shaft and constant pinion shaft, now need to remove the main shaft, the manual is light on with describing the process, it says to remove the rear bearing then the main shaft can be tilted and removed - how is the bearing removed with the limited space available, any help appreciated

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Gearbox overhaul S2 fhc main shaft removal

Post by angelw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:49 am

Matthew Wrote:
Series 2 gearbox overhaul, I have removed the counter shaft and constant pinion shaft, now need to remove the main shaft, the manual is light on with describing the process, it says to remove the rear bearing then the main shaft can be tilted and removed - how is the bearing removed with the limited space available, any help appreciated
Hello Mathew,
Once the First Motion Shaft and Lay Shaft Cluster is laying at the bottom of the Gearbox Housing, the Mainshaft is rotated until one of the cutouts in the 3rd/Top Synchro Hub is in line with the Lay Shaft Cluster; this will avoid the Hub interfering with the Lay Shaft Cluster.

The Main Shaft is either tapped, or pressed towards the front of the Gearbox Housing, out of the rear bearing. You need to be sure that the Rear Thrust Washer that's pegged to the inside of the rear wall of the Gearbox Housing has dropped down in a Clockwise direction (viewed from the rear of the Gearbox Housing), otherwise Reverse Gear will foul with it when the Main Shaft is driven forward. You also need to ensure that the Reverse Gear is kept firm against First Gear when driving the Main Shaft forward.

Once the Main Shaft is clear of the inner race of the rear bearing, the bearing can be removed via inertia by tapping sharply, the rear face of the Gearbox Housing with a plastic, or the like, hammer. It is usually not tight.

After the bearings is removed, make sure Reverse Gear is held firmly against First Gear and secure a hose clamp to the Main Shaft to prevent Reverse Gear sliding back.

I refurbish quite a lot of Gearboxes; accordingly, I have a fairly good set up for dismantling/reassembling and prefer to press the Main Shaft from the rear bearing. Having the Main Shaft vertical in the press, gravity
encourages Reverse Gear to stay intimate with first gear, but you must take special care that the rear Thrust washer doesn't get in the way.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic