Stainless Bumpers

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
bfeng

#1 Stainless Bumpers

Post by bfeng » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:17 am

Has anyone tried sgbumperscar.com.
They advertise stainless S1 bumpers for a reasonable price.
They've also said they can make up stainless bumpers for other Jaguars (like my xk120) for similarly reasonable prices (well under 700GBP). Based in Vietnam.

John
John Feng

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

daverawle
Great Britain

Post by daverawle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi John,

I bought a full set of s/s bumpers a few years ago from Group Harrington - suspect the company you name are the same, anyway you can google for them.

Following some bonnet repairs I have just had the chance to fit the front ones with the matching over riders. The workmanship is excellent and if the alternative is repro bumpers from the usual suppliers then there is no comparison either on price or quality. Fitting was fairly straightforward and grinding the edges to fit the profile of the car was easy, unlike with chromed bumpers. Living by the sea I wish I could replace every bit of chrome with s/s. Regarding the colour; chrome leans toward a blueish tint whereas stainless tends to give a straw tint, at least to my eyes but it is close enough to be insignificant IMO. If they make a set for your car then get them :D
Dave
1963 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bfeng

#3 Thank you dave

Post by bfeng » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:43 pm

David, my S1 is the same opalescent blue. Lovely color for showing off an E-type's curves. Thank you for your recommendation. I'm thinking of getting SS bumpers for not just my E but also my xk120 and BMW E9.

John
John Feng

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series 1
Great Britain

Post by Series 1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Dave, sorry, off topic, but I notice you are front numberplate-less. Is that just because of bonnet repairs or do the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary agree that an E Type looks better without?

I only ask because I haven't put one back on mine yet and continue to find other things to do first.

Angus

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

daverawle
Great Britain

Post by daverawle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:20 pm

Series 1 wrote:Dave, sorry, off topic, but I notice you are front numberplate-less. Is that just because of bonnet repairs or do the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary agree that an E Type looks better without?

I only ask because I haven't put one back on mine yet and continue to find other things to do first.

Angus
Angus, I wish, unfortunately they have plenty of jobsworths to give me a bad time should I drive it that way. Agree it does look better without, also the motif bar detracts from the looks IMO. Perhaps a lightweight for next time.
Dave
1963 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic