2+2 Exhaust system

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
skiday

#1 2+2 Exhaust system

Post by skiday » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi Folks

I have replaced my exhaust manifold with a lovely new stainless job, but because I have a 2+2 the new second sections don't quite reach the mid/main silencers. I was going to have some new sections about 250mm long made up, but then I realised that I could cut the small stainless flexis out of the old manifold to silencer section, which is not stainless, but in very good condition indeed (as shown in photo) and use them. The question is, is it better to cut up the old silencer and be done with it, or would the old system have a high enough value to make it worthwhile selling it and finding a courier etc. and getting new sections made up?

Thanks

Andrew
Andrew Day. Former owner of S1A 4.2 2+2. Current cars; Aston Martin DBS 1968, Ferrari F355 & Fiat Coupe 20vt. Flag of choice; EU

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Are you suggesting cutting out the flexi's and using them? If so you may have problems getting a gas tight seal. You really need to have the front ends of the pipe's flared to go over the down pipes and the rear inside the silencer end, again to get a good seal.

Suggest you use Norma/Mikalor s/s clamps as well. Not cheap but they work really well: http://tinyurl.com/7pu9n6m
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
skiday

Post by skiday » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Yes, that's the idea. I have talked it over with an exhaust fabricator and it will not be a problem to get a gas tight seal as he will expand the pipe so it will fit into the new system, the only question really is; is it is a waste to cut up a perfectly good section which may be valuable to someone else?

I don't know if it is original, or a replacement, but it is mild steel, although it must be a very high quality grade as there is no rust on it, just discolouration, and it is not painted. From what I see from the suppliers you can only buy stainless steel systems now. From SC parts the section is ?162 in s/s.
Andrew Day. Former owner of S1A 4.2 2+2. Current cars; Aston Martin DBS 1968, Ferrari F355 & Fiat Coupe 20vt. Flag of choice; EU

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
skiday

Post by skiday » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Well, in the absence of anyone telling me I shouldn?t, the deed is done. I cut the flexi sections out with all the straight tube fore and aft, had the fabricator match the new and old, and I?m good to go. That?s another job jobbed as my dad would say. So I hope no one will now tell me it was worth loads of money second hand.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 am

Andrew

You did the right thing! It is easy for someone to say "cut it up" but everyone's financial circumstances are different so difficult to advise, hence the lack of replies!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic