205 Tyre dilemma

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
00series
Great Britain

#1 205 Tyre dilemma

Post by 00series » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi,
I bit the bullet & today ordered some MWS 6 inch chrome/stainless wheels with pirreli p4000 tyres for my S2 E-type, however the supplier has just called me back to tell me that there are no p4000 or even p6000 tyres available as Pirelli's are in short supply.
The other available choices are Avon of which i have not heard good things, - Vredestein Classic very expensive at ?250 a corner - or Blockley tyres at around ?140 each but of which i know nothing about.

Does anyone know anything about the Blockley tyres?
If i hide the bill from the Mrs i could stretch to the Vredesteins but are they really worth ?400 more than the Blockleys?

If anyone knows where i may find some Pirreli's the information would be appreciated.

After researching tyres on this forum i had decided on the P4000's - so this has really thrown a spanner into the works.

Thanks, bert.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:07 pm

Bert

You had a lucky escape as those 205 Pirelli's do nothing for an E-Type - well apart from making the steering heavy and the ride harsher :roll: The P4000's in particular are a cheap tyre designed for small cars and vans and impossible to find at the moment. The P6000's are for performance cars but their square section shoulders are designed for variable camber steering which the E-Type does not have; you need tyres with a rounded cross section. Start looking for 185 section tyres from Vredestein (were about ?120 each but price has gone up considerably). Although typically fitted to 5" wheels, putting them on 6" wheels stiffens the side walls which offers improvements in handling with only a small decrease in ride comfort. So you get the 'look' of the wider wheels with the delightful steering feel, ride quality and handling of the 185's. I used to have P6000's on my car and swapping them out for 185's (Michelin XVS in my case) was a revelation. There are several threads here on the subject but this is the main one: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152

Tyres to consider:

Vredestein Classic 185HR15 (note HR rating, tell your insurer)
Michelin XVS 185VR15
Pirelli Cinturato 185VR15 (hard to get at the moment)

If you are wedded to 205's then Longstone Tyres have Avon CR28's at ?157 each or indeed Avon whitewalls at ?65 each "If you are determined to crash" according to Dougal! Blockley tyres are what they are. E-Type UK fit Falken 225/65R15's to their cars. Dunlop SP Sport are also another option in 205/70.
Last edited by Heuer on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vipergts
Great Britain

Post by vipergts » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:27 pm

I quite like the look of old styleee race tyres
S1 4.2 Roadster in Resale Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
00series
Great Britain

Post by 00series » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks for the information, you have turned me away from the Pirelli's but i have set my mind on 205's as i think they fill out the elongated look of the 2+2 better, bearing this in mind & also taking the financial outlay into consideration:

205 Avon CR28's at ?155 or 205 Vredesteins at ?275: which way would you go? I have a 2000 mile tour coming up in May to take in a few laps of The Nordschief, then into Austria over to the Stelvio Pass to Chamonix & then a spirited drive home through Rural France so good tyres are a must. The car has just been serviced in preparation with a rebuilt alternator & new water pump - so hopefully i'll get there & back?

Many thanks,
Bert

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Ring Dougal at Longstone Tyres and get some expert advice: http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

If you are thinking of spending ?275 per tyre forget the Vred's as the Michelin XWX is the only way to go. Superb, especially for what you are planning! http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/20 ... 20XWX.html
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Try www.blackcircles.com you buy the tyres online and then arrange which local tyre fitting company you want to fit them. There is a choice online and the price you pay is all inc.

I just bought some Pirelli 225 60 R15 for ?216 fitted. I think ATS wanted ?155 a tyre.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

V12 Epyte
Great Britain

#7 205 Tyre Dilema

Post by V12 Epyte » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 pm

I have just had a set of Dayton wheels and Blockley tyres.
Decided on Daytons this time. Had a set of MWS on an S type and the ferrules on the end of the spokes went rusty after a year. Spoke to Blockley at Stoneleigh and decided on their tyres. Went down to Blockley's and had them fitted last week. Like the tread pattern on them. Image .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 pm

185Hr15 vredestein are available by mail order from Holland at ?95 each

try this link

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyres/car-tyres ... 185-80-r15

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
00series
Great Britain

Post by 00series » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:28 am

Hi, thanks for the input.

Black circles don't list a V rated tyre on their website, the highest they go in 205/70/15 is T rated 118mph.

The MWS wheels have stainless spokes so hopefully rust will not be an issue. I would need to hear more independent feedback before i invested in Blockley's, even though they do look superb.

Regarding the Avon CR28: Having just spoken to the technical dept at Avon they do not recommend the CR28's as a summer touring tyre, it's more of a winter/wet competition tyre - so these are also out of the question.

?1000 on tyres is starting to appear a little extravagant especially as the Mrs has set her heart on a gastronomic long weekend in Italy for our approaching anniversary - i really should have married a woman who's expectation of a good meal is to go large at Macdonalds.

I have found the Vredestein Sprint Classic for ?197 each so i might just go for these as the feedback appears superb & they look right.

Best regards, Bert

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:54 am

Bert

The only reported problem with MWS wheels is the tightness of the spokes over time. Check them at least once a year by running a small spanner across each spoke and listen to the noise - if it rings like a bell it is OK, if it sounds dull the spoke is loose and will need tightening (easy). I found this out the hard way which meant there were so many loose spokes they had to go back to MWS for overhaul at ?100/wheel!

Get a quote from Dougal - they will ship the tyres to you next day.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Malk
Great Britain

Post by Malk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:29 am

We have a company account with ProTyre who are National. I have to say I ordered a set of P4000 on basis they are safer than the 20year old rubber on the vehicle and they could source them. Think I'm paying ?85 a corner +vat but it will do for the minute....... Micheldever is the main site on 01962-774437 and they will ship to your local depot.

Try them on the Dunlops etc if that is prefered choice.
http://www.karcher-center-chemtec.co.uk

@malcolmsetton

Series III 1973 Manual FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Malk
Great Britain

Post by Malk » Wed May 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Okay cat amongst pigeons, I have probably 20 year old Dunlops on the car, just fitted new Pirelli P4000's have to say on the short journey home they feel amazing and SO much more responsive!! See how we go......

@malcolmsetton

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GSR 54D
Great Britain

Post by GSR 54D » Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 pm

How about this tyre: Original series 3 etype fit, good period looks with extra width! Now back to V rated. Recommended in Longstone's video
http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/ER ... Sport.html

John H.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Malk
Great Britain

Post by Malk » Thu May 03, 2012 7:53 pm

That's exactly what I've just pulled off. Wasn't impressed with them and had a few slides on greasy roads and roundabouts. Let's face it we are used to modern cars and treads for day to day driving and I certainly don't get in the E and plod up the road at 20mph, its there to be driven so it gets driven!

@malcolmsetton

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GSR 54D
Great Britain

Post by GSR 54D » Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm feeling "slides on greasy roads" is more to do with old hardened rubber than tread design. I have an old 185/15 Aquajet sitting in the garage and a stanley knife blade would have trouble doing any damage it's so hard. It's quite funny to think most e-types had Aquajets in the 60's and 70's and so plodding along doing 20mph would of had Morris Minors over taking them with ease!!!!

OK so Aquajets are not for you then! Another option which I did 2 years ago was to fit Michelin 185/15 XVS's onto 6" dayton rims which makes them look slightly wider than original but still give a 60's period appearance plus maintaining relatively light positive steering.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Malk
Great Britain

Post by Malk » Thu May 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Your are spot on I guess, how it passed last years MOT I don't know,there again it had a hole int eh sub frame, 2" play in rear wheel, no side lights, hole thro chassis below rear seats and still passed!!!

The rubber needs to be soft and supple, totally amazing diff. Hope to take it on longer run at weekend. Also took opportunity to throw some puncture liquid which seals up but unsure if this will cause balance issues. If it does it will come out, if not good idea as never going to be able to easily change a wheel on one of these.

As I said even if not the best a new P4000 has to be better than a cracking, hard 20 year old Dunlop!

M.

@malcolmsetton

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GSR 54D
Great Britain

Post by GSR 54D » Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Yes tyres; regarding MOT check it's tread depth etc. and side wall damage/ageing. Actual age and speed ratings don't come into it.

Enjoy your new found speed

John H.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

D COUPE
Great Britain

Post by D COUPE » Fri May 04, 2012 7:33 am

For the tyre record.....I have P4000 215 70 15. It is a S3 OTS driving is of a more sedate style and all is good.
DC
ITS NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE ITS HOW GOOD YOU LOOK IN IT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic