Double S Exhausts

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
vacbag
Great Britain

#1 Double S Exhausts

Post by vacbag » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:40 am

:D Any one got any experience of Double S Exhausts, I am thinking of buying one complete with manifolds for my Series 2.
Steve.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:34 am

Steve

No experience of Double SS but lots of experience with manifolds and silencers. Changing the manifolds for bigger ones will push the torque curve further up the rev range meaning the engine will not come 'on song' until about 3,000rpm. You may get more power as well but only at the top end of the rev range 5,500 - 6,000. For a standard road car drive ability stick with the Jaguar manifolds (they are very well designed for the XK engine) and put a stainless steel exhaust on - big bore if you want the noise. If your engine has been modified then you will get a benefit from the bigger manifolds but you could still end up with a dip in the torque curve (see my thread here: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287). Classic Fabs are the best in avoiding this.

I can recommend the Classic Fabs system - both manifold and silencers - as their build quality and design is properly thought out, not just a few bits of bent stainless welded together. Start with the silencers/resonators and then see if you need the manifolds.

Edit: Classic Fabs silencers = ?640; Double S = ?499 both ex VAT. Manifolds extra.
Last edited by Heuer on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andyp

Post by andyp » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Steve

I've got a Double S system (standard manifold back) on my car. It's done about 15K miles and I'm very happy with it.

The Classic Fabs system is a beauty if your pockets are deep enough. If not the standard Double S should serve you well. It was a nice fit BTW. I don't remember having to belt anything with a hammer.

Andy
1966 2+2 MOD Conversion

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic