radius arm bushings

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
42south
New Zealand

#1 radius arm bushings

Post by 42south » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 am

hi
I am going to replace the IRS radius arm bushings shortly in my S3 OTS. I am wondering if I should use the original jag ones, or get some of the new red polyurethane ones?
Do the Poly ones last as long as the originals?
Is the ride unduly firm?
Any particular brand of poly better than others?
Any info would be appreciated.
Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:38 am

As with most other parts, if you can get original Jaguar bushes, use them . The quality is generally far better than pattern parts . Uprated poly bushes reduce the compliance in the suspension and transmit more noise and vibration as well . When one drives other sporting cars of this era, one realises that one of the greatest attributes of the E is its wonderful ride . I would not sacrifice this for a little more longevity of poly bushes

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 am

Agree with Christopher regarding original spec rubber bushes. There is no earthly reason you need to 'upgrade' to poly-bushes other than to increase harshness, noise and reduce ride quality - they also 'squeak' annoyingly. After trying poly-bushes I went back to rubber to cure a creaking sound under braking and it was a revelation. Regular use keeps the rubber supple so they should be good for ten years at least. Best handling car with sublime compliant ride I have ever driven is my Lotus Elan which was restored to 100% original some 20 years ago - no upgrades of any kind and it is fantastic for knocking about on the back roads. Useless on a motorway though!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
42south
New Zealand

#4 Irs bushings

Post by 42south » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:11 pm

THanks for the input.
I see SNG have the original jag parts, so I will go that way.

The failure mode of my 15 year old bushings is that the cup on one of them has flogged across and pushed the rubber across as well.
Mark Brown

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

Post by Woolfi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Check this cup from the inside of the car. Some of these cups are completely rusty on their inner side. On my car, one of these cups fall down with the radius arm 80 km far from home. The cup was thin like thick paper. Inside the cup there was a 6 mm thick "layer" of rust. Big surprise ! ! ! One week before I made a test on the Autobahn with 140 mph.
Check your cup from inside as qick as possible and fill with wax or anti-rust oil.
Regards Wolfgang Gatza

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisvine
Great Britain

Post by chrisvine » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 pm

I'm not sure if it's common practice but when I had my diff rebuilt I was told it's better to use the original bushes, rather than opt for poly bushes, but rotate them by 90 degrees so the holes are perpendicular to the radius arm.

Chris
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Heuer wrote:Agree with Christopher regarding original spec rubber bushes. There is no earthly reason you need to 'upgrade' to poly-bushes other than to increase harshness, noise and reduce ride quality - they also 'squeak' annoyingly. After trying poly-bushes I went back to rubber to cure a creaking sound under braking and it was a revelation. Regular use keeps the rubber supple so they should be good for ten years at least. Best handling car with sublime compliant ride I have ever driven is my Lotus Elan which was restored to 100% original some 20 years ago - no upgrades of any kind and it is fantastic for knocking about on the back roads. Useless on a motorway though!
David,

I would say they only squeak if they are not fitted correctly. I have polybushes all round and not one squeak or moan from them ever.
The problem I think is people fit them crank the bolts down tight without setting the suspension up first.
Ray Livingston gave me a tip once, fit whatever bushes you want but only nip the nuts up, do a few blocks come back and then tighten down.
Rob Beere sells uprated radius arm polybushes that are not as hard as some that are around.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
42south
New Zealand

#8 radius arm bushes

Post by 42south » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:50 am

As far as the holes in the bushes and alignment to the radius arm is concerned.
Do you mean I should align the holes parallel to the arm?
Mark Brown

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisvine
Great Britain

Post by chrisvine » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 am

Yes - the holes run parallel with the length of the radius arm. This was suggested by Alan Slawson who did the IRS rebuild covered in a Jaguar World book.

I'm not sure if others have a view of merits of turning the large bushes
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 am

Chris

Rotating the bushes by 90 degrees is something that was regularly done when going racing with an E-Type in period. It reduces the 'twist' in the IRS and thus the amount of rear wheel steering. My bushes have been set that way for years but I can't say how much difference it makes to handling. If you intend to drive your car aggressively through corners then it is probably worth doing but for general pootling about leave them the way they are.

Dave

I can't understand why no one sells polybushes that have the same characteristics as rubber ones but with added longevity. Probably be unable to sell them as the inner child in all of us wants to "go racing", in theory at least.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

Post by Woolfi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 am

Isn't there one supplier in UK offering polybushes in three different colours ? Blue, black und red, with different stiffness ?
Regards Wolfgang Gatza

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Heuer wrote:Chris

Dave

I can't understand why no one sells polybushes that have the same characteristics as rubber ones but with added longevity. Probably be unable to sell them as the inner child in all of us wants to "go racing", in theory at least.
David,

You are probably right, mention uprade to me and I'm in :D

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic