Handbrake Lever

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Eric Capron
Great Britain

#1 Handbrake Lever

Post by Eric Capron » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:54 pm

The handbrake lever on my Series 2 is worn to the extent that when on, a sharp downward rap on the lever makes it release. The MoT tester won't pass it until this is fixed. I have dismantled it and the problem is wear in both the ratchet plate and the pawl.

Has anyone been able to find a UK supplier of these parts so that the handbrake can be rebuilt?

XKs in the US supply the ratchet plate but not the pawl but with shipping and duty it is as much as a complete new handbrake from Barratts.

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Try M&C Wilkinson for s/h parts or RJ Smith for NOS parts.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

71 V12
Great Britain

Post by 71 V12 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:44 pm

I had the same issue, I filed new teeth into the ratchet plate with a good qaulity v shaped jewelers file. Worked perfectly since.

Worth a try.

Kevin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:06 am

Eric : I have repaired these with a build up of weld on the teeth ( tig is best because it is softer) and then filing back . I see no reason why you should not do the same with the pawl as well

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Eric Capron
Great Britain

Post by Eric Capron » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. I had no luck finding a good secondhand lever and I did have a go a filing new teeth but the ratchet is very badly worn. Simon Hemsley also suggested building up the teeth with weld but but I'm a bit stuck for doing that with my present facitlities.

As it turns out I was able to locate a new pawl from David Manners and I have stumped up the money and ordered a new ratchet plate from XKs in US. Just waiting for that to arrive and I should be back on the road with a garden fresh MOT.

Just a bit surpised that these parts aren't more readily available in the UK as a couple of restorers have told me that this problem is not so uncommon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Eric Capron
Great Britain

Post by Eric Capron » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Just as a postscript to this topic, as a result of an email to Julian Barratt he has tod me that SNG Barratt now supply an overhaul kit comprising the ratchet plate and pawl and some other small items. Too late for me and I don't know how much it costs but it is certain to help someone.

Good for Barratts & thank you Julian.

No connection etc.

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Eric Capron
Great Britain

Post by Eric Capron » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:54 pm

As a second postcript to this topic I have now completed the job. If anyone else has to do this the details are on my website www.stretton.tv/e_type_handbrake_lever_overhaul.htm Hope this helps someone.

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic