handbrake modifications

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
42south
New Zealand

#1 handbrake modifications

Post by 42south » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:50 am

Hi guys
THe IRS of my S3 Etype with the common handbrake mods done. We just made the spring brackets up and it seems important that when released they do not hold much or any tension on the operating lever or it pulls the whole handbrake mechanism across enough to hold the pad against the disc. Hence the second hole in the right side. the springs are the ones for the saloons from SNG.
The other mod has been done by several posters to the central arm. Its not fitted up yet but seems to work well.
Another poster gave me the idea to make up the plywood removal dolly mounted on 4 casters. This is the best thing out for this job. It sits high enough off the ground to slide the jack under and just lift the IRS into position to attach, or lower following detachment. I cant believe how easy it is to remove the IRS since I made this up.

Mark Brown
1971 S3 Etype, now sold, sadly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

Post by abowie » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:13 am

Brilliant idea; will be doing this with my IRS while it's out. Can you post another pic of your IRS dolly? I need to make one.

While it's out do yourself a favour and fit a set of remote bleeders.

Also, being picky, replace the lockwires on the top, they look loose. They should be tight and angled so that they prevent the setscrews coming undone. So in the picture they should come from the right side of the rear setscrew to the left side of the front one.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
42south
New Zealand

#3 handbrake modifications

Post by 42south » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 am

Hi
I can send you a set of pics that show all the dimensions of the dolly, email me.

One point about the spring mounting bracket, it needs a 90 degree bend to keep the spring away from the IRS and the brake caliper.

The spring part no is C22690 from SNG barratts.

Points noted about lockwire, will have a go.
I think I have the adjuster threaded piece around the wrong way as well.
Mark Brown

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#4 Re: handbrake modifications

Post by 1954Etype » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 am

42south wrote:Hi
I think I have the adjuster threaded piece around the wrong way as well.
Yes, it makes cable removal easy as you don't have thread the clevis through the compensator mech.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

Post by Dave K » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Mark,

The handbrake mod is one of the easiest and most effective mods you can to to an E-Type. 3 years since I did mine and the handbrake is perfect.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#6 Re: handbrake modifications

Post by PeterCrespin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:06 pm

More importantly, it gains you extra travel. By having it the wrong way round not only do you limit the movement of the clevis into the cable, you run out of adjustment earlier.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dave K
Great Britain

#7 Re: handbrake modifications

Post by Dave K » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Pete,

After doing the handbrake mod I doubt Mark will ever have to worry about adjusting it again. Thats why he has done it, takes away the bother.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

Post by vee12eman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:23 am

Dave,

I think Pete is referring to the threaded block into which the cable is screwed. As it is shown in the photo, the travel of the cable is restricted and may run out before the handbrake is fully applied; even if the system can be made to work with the current set up, minimal wear to the pads or discs could cause adjustment in the cable to run out in future. Also, although Mark has elected to fit the cable to the IRS before refit, with the cable attached in the manner shown, if ever he has to disconnect the cable or remove the IRS, it will not come away unless the whole cable is removed, as the slot in the threaded block is on the wrong side.

Regards,

Simon.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
42south
New Zealand

#9 hand brake mods

Post by 42south » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:19 pm

The hardest thing I found when refitting the IRS was attaching the hand brake clevis pin once it was up in position.
I found that with the dolly partially lifting the IRS, then attaching the clevis pin, then doing the final lift into position things went much easier.

In the picture the handbrake cable is only attached so I could test out the springs, and make sure Dave K's centre pin mod worked ok.
Mark Brown

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic