Sunvisor Replacement

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#1 Sunvisor Replacement

Post by Heuer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:45 pm

This great tip may be of use so I thought I would post it. Not my work but that of George Knuckey in the US, who I have been corresponding with over various E-Type matters.

"David,

Some months ago you were good enough to supply me with names of some sunvisor manufacturers. I thought you might like to see the E-Type OTS visor that Vinyl Specialities www.autosunvisors.com - fabricated to my specifications. It has a hardboard interior with minimal padding instead of the original foam and wire skeleton. The unit is covered in BAS Jaguar vinyl (which I provided) instead of heat-sealed plastic and matches the car's interior. The edges are bound in black vinyl. Altogether the construction is far superior to the original and gives the car a much dressier and more modern look. It uses the original mounts and is easily removed.

The prototype visor is about 1/2 inch longer and 13/4 inch deeper than the original which permits better sunscreen and greater wind deflection in the raised position. As a result, a cutout is required to clear the rear-view mirror, similar to Series II units. If I were to order further copies, however, I would retain the original length of 18 1/2 ins as the prototype is a tight fit. I was never happy with (what I thought were) the shabby original visors and have been looking for a manufacturer to help for quite a few years. Most upholsterers were willing to do the job but, as one put it, "bring your wallet". Vinyl Specialities did the job for $120 including domestic postage which I thought quite reasonable. If you need further information, let me know.

Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

George Knuckey"

David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Those are really nice. I'd like to see what they can do for the fuzzy visors in the FHC.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic