Clonk...

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Aldeburgh

#1 Clonk...

Post by Aldeburgh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:45 pm

There is a clonk when I apply the brake... sounds as though it is just t'other side of the bulkhead on the near side. Lifted bonnet and saw that this is where various brake whatsits are sighted within a loose black box cover.... havent yet been able to get anyone to apply the brakes for me whilst I observe to see what is clonking ... what is the likely culprit?

Also, what is the best thing to secure the end of the hose to the bottom of the washer nozzles? ...it has come loose, fallen off, and dripped washer fluid onto the garage floor. Moved the car this morning and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the wet patch.

C
'73 V12 2+2 Manual. I am on first name terms with every petrol pump attendant in the south of England.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

harryetype

Post by harryetype » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Charlie I've replied to your pm, as I mentioned it sounds like the brake servo is missing a bracket or maybe slightly loose.

Has the washer pipe come off from the washer nozzle?
Harry

My Dads old V12 TOM 32
1968 Roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Aldeburgh

#3 clonk

Post by Aldeburgh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Harry, I think most likely that is exactly what is causing the clonk. Is it ok to drive under those circs?
'73 V12 2+2 Manual. I am on first name terms with every petrol pump attendant in the south of England.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alfi

Post by alfi » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:43 pm

Charlie, as Harry has mentioned check the fixings inside the passenger footwell underneath the carpet, I have a simular noise since I rebuilt my servo but thats caused by the seal inside the unit sticking slightly after releasing the break. Where the servo abutts the body work there should be plastic spacers which I think prevent noise travelling between the servo and body work. Alfi.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic