Wiper-bosses ?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#1 Wiper-bosses ?

Post by rfs1957 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Having lost two of the three wiper-blades during 48h of rain in the Geneva/Bourgogne area last week (teach me to ignore weak clips, just because I usually never drive it in the rain ........), and deeply scoring the windscreen with the edge of one of the stainless blades set in the rubber wiper itself, it's apparently time to take this more seriously.

The 3 splined wiper bosses appear to have been dragged across the floor underneath the shell during some earlier life, and a starting point would be to find three good ones.

Any advice about sourcing spindles (8651/8652/8653 ?) and/or equivalent parts on other cars and/or exchange units from competent-thorough-honest sources much appreciated.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Duckham
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wiper-bosses ?

Post by Duckham » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Rory -
I needed to replace just one of the end splines some time ago.
The splined boss and the plate it is fixed to (that in turn bolts to the rack) is unique to the E, as far as I could find.
The spline itself however is used on various cars, but it looks difficult to replace as it is peened into position.

I took the easy route and got a good replacment from Ken Verity in the UK.

I think that SNGB now remanufacture the entire rack so you may be able to get new parts from them.
1963 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic