How much can I hone my clutch slave cylinder?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
jonr
Norway

#1 How much can I hone my clutch slave cylinder?

Post by jonr » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Hi,

My clutch slave cylinder was leaking and I discovered there was a little rust inside. I chemically dipped the cylinder to remove the rust and now I am honing the cylinder to get a smooth surface. But how much can I hone before it will start to leak?
I did not measure the diameter before I started honing, but now the diameter is 22,3mm. The new rubber seal is 22,0mm on the piston side and the lip on the sealing side is 23,6mm.

Does anyone knows?

Jon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Duckham
Great Britain

#2 Re: How much can I hone my clutch slave cylinder?

Post by Duckham » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Jon -
I would expect that the seal could take up a substantial increase in bore size, probably more than you have the patience to reach with a hone.
I doubt anyone can give an absolute answer as it will depend mostly on the dimensions and flexibility of the replacement seal which will vary wildly with manufacturer.

Personally, if the pitting was deep enough to make me ask the question I'd change the cylinder or sleeve it just because it's pain to remove later if it does weep !

Joe
1963 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

Post by rfs1957 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:55 am

How long is a piece of string ?

There's no answer.

I would keep going, having regularly "saved" slaves (both clutch and brake-calipers) that had marked bores ; my experience suggests you can get away with murder and they work just fine. And when they don't, it's a weep not a collapse.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi , Look you have it off , you wiil have to bleed the system, it may or my not weep again ???? , for the price of a new one I dont think its worth the hassle / gamble , keep the old one for tours etc as a get you out of poo moment ? just my 2 euros worth :idea:
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic