Track rod ends despair.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

Post by johnben » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:14 am

mgcjag wrote:Hi All........Dave just to pick up on what Xk unlimited said.....suspension must be compressed to fit the tre,s........I have looked in the Jaguar manual and this is incorrect on page j.10 for removing lower wishbone the steps are jack car in center of picture frame untill wheels clear the floor and support...etc..then drift out tre..reverse procedure to refit......if xk,s tre,s need the suspension compressed to fit then something is wrong.......Steve
Steve, thanks for highlighting what the manual stated, a good relevant point which I had forgotten, though I must have read it several times . On the subject of wear, the image below is of the TRE which was on my car (and still is) I don't consider it got the uniform 'spooning out' by wear, if it did I think the wear area would be shiny. The TRE adjacent to the left is the current offering from Amsteer Tamworth UK.

John
Ser 1 2 + 2

Last edited by johnben on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:28 am

Hi........Some good news at last.......have been in contact with a manufacturer in the UK that has confirmed that the original Trs,s were 125deg slim line unit.......They are currently in the process of starting a production run......they will be slim line sealed for life stainless steel.....bodys and pins made...just working on sealing etc.....they do not want to be named at the moment untill they have the complete units...watch this space for when they will be available.......if u are interessed in a pair PM me and I will pass your details to manufacturer so ha has an idea of the interest and quantity........Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
johnben
Great Britain

Post by johnben » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Good work Steve, even better they will be made in the UK, put me down for a pair.

John
Ser 1 2 + "

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Got to love your tenacity Steve 8) - I will take a pair. Come on everyone - this has been a Forum led initiative so we should at least put our money where our mouth is even if you just buy a pair and put them on the shelf for later!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

Post by 288gto » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Great work Steve,
As per pm please put me down for a pair.

Simon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

frogeater
France

Post by frogeater » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Hello Steve,
I will be interested too.
:arrow:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Zei220
Great Britain

Post by Zei220 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Please add my name for a pair , please.
Dave
S2 4.2 FHC
Ford F100 pickup
KTM 525 XC
BMW C400x
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough..."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

timhum
Great Britain

Post by timhum » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Please also include me.
Tim
Tim
1965 S1 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david muir
Scotland

#89 TREs

Post by david muir » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:04 pm

I'll also have a pair!
Thanks.
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

Post by 265bhp » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Yup, definitely interested too
Thanks
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnney
Great Britain

Post by johnney » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:12 am

And myself, thanks.
johnney

1968 FHC series 1
1E21862

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:57 am

Hi All.......Just to confirm....I have no financial or other dealinge with the manufacturer of the tre,s......they just dont want to be bombarded with calls till the tre,s are ready.......when they are I wlii notity everyone of the details and you can contact acd order direct....regards Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

Post by rfs1957 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:44 pm

If they have an export model for us who live in FORINN then count me in too. Dont't get the stainless tho, keep it simple ; pointless in the context and the pin ought to be in steel. Galling of SS is largely underestimated in stretch vs applied torque.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stuart Exelby
Great Britain

Post by Stuart Exelby » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi Steve, I'd be interested, too...
1967 Series 1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

Post by 64etype » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:18 pm

I just received XK's Unlimited's Fall information/parts flyer in a box with some parts. They're listing NEW steering tie rod ends "from the correct gold color to the proper range of motion and clear boots". CO-25447 @ $46.25/pair. Then I checked SNG and Terry's and they all have what appears to be the same thing ("to OEM specification" in one listing). Thanks to this thread it appears that the "word is out" among the suppliers. I have a pair of new QH rod ends on the shelf purchased in 2012 and just checked them against the originals. The available arc is, of course, dramatically reduced on the QH parts. I'm going to petition the supplier for an exchange based on safety concerns.

I didn't realize that the original parts were gold in color or the bit about clear boots....not that it matters. Actually, the reason it caught my attention is that they sent me a new clutch master cylinder for my '64 with a gold coating and I wondered if that was correct. Anyone know if gold is historically correct for the clutch M/C?

By the way, I just measured a brand new in the box (1985 vintage) Koni 82E-1232 front shock and it is exactly 15 29/32"....
Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Alberto
United States of America

Post by Alberto » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:36 am

I'd be in for a pair as well.

Not that is matters because for me these would be a spare set, but I do have a point of clarification. Is this issue (the tie rod ends not having the range of motion as the OEM version and causing issues with boots and possible stretch of the neck and potential failure in the extreme case) one mostly primarily the coupes and 2+2's or does it also impact series 1 OTS's?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi Alberto......the basic issue is that the currently available tre,s do not have as much angular movement as OEM........this results in the steering tie arm being pulled down and stressed when the car is jacked and the suspension allowed to hang....if u look back at the posts on page 1,2 u can clearly see that the tre,s will not fit with the suspension dropped...jack up your car and see if the steering tightens....
HI Eric..........sorry dont know the finish on the originals .......Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Alberto
United States of America

Post by Alberto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:30 am

Steve:

Thank you for your response. I am aware of what the issue is. What I'm not clear on is whether this is an issue limited to certain variants. I thought I read in one post that this was a problem associated with the coupes and 2+2's or does it also impact series 1 OTS's? Perhaps my recollection is incorrect.

Alberto

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:35 am

Hi Alberto......I see it as an issue for all series 1 and 2 cars dont know about series 3.......I have a series 2 2+2 and the problem first came to light after refurbing the front end with after maket parts (dampers longer than original and tre,s not articulating enough) .johnben also has a 2+2 and his after market parts would not fit..... so its been highlighted so individuals can check there own vehicle....Personally I think this has been hiden from many owners who dont wook on there own car and from advice that the tre,s should be connected when the car is let down on the suspension....hence the binding when jacked up......hope this helps.........PM me if u need any other info.......regards Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi All......went to Stonleigh yesterday and picked up a pair of Quinton Hazel new old stock QR1178 tre,s checked the old QH parts list and this was confirmed as an equivelant part to C25447(original Jag part) measured the fully open angle as 124deg(to the best of my ability)...this was the part no mentioned in the first paragraph page 1 of this topic.
The angle when compared to others being sold as for S1 /S2. is noticably different as per David Maurys artical years ago http://georgiajag.com/Documents/TieRodE ... dEnds.html
Just removed the shorter Gaz shocks and replaced with my previous Boge units(406mm extended) then jacked up front and let suspension hang.....fitted the QR1178 which went straight in.......there are old stock QR1178 tre,s out there if you hunt around, but there are also new QR 1178 available but not having tried them do not know if they are the same angle....There are other makers tre,s with equivelant part no,s but have not tried any
Note that tre,s QR 1418 are being sold as suitable for E type but these are for S3 cars.
I think this whole process comes down to buyer beware...if you or your mechanic is fitting a replacement part make sure its the right one and its tech the same or as near as to do the job....you cannot rely on a supplier giving u a replacenent part thats the same as OEM.
Im still quite amazed that although the 124approx angle has been known about for years there are still well known restorers and mechanics out there that accept this binding steering as mormal...I know because ive talked to lots of them.
Anyone that wants anymore info please PM me I think this topic has got long enough so on to the next one......Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic