Rust should I be concerned

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
davef
Great Britain

#1 Rust should I be concerned

Post by davef » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Whilst removing the trim at the rear of my series 3 roadster, to run a new aerial cable, previous owner left it coiled up in the hole shown below, I noticed a degree of rust.

The area is question is under the covers to the left and right of the storage box, just to the rear of the door. The rust seems to be on the wall in the hole, see pictures.

Obviously all rust is bad but is this area structural and should I get it fixed now, Car had a re-spray about 6-7 years ago and I can only assume they did not get to this area.

Is there any treatments that will slow the rust attack that I could apply.

Area in question
Image from inside the hole

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 am

It is difficult to see from the pics exactly where that hole is, but it does not bode well for the overall condition in the sill/inner wing area. I fear that the respray was irrelevant : cars with corrosion are often repainted . The other bit of bad news is that such a degree of rust cannot be arrested by use of phosphoric acid which is the best rust killer , because rust of that degree means that the bulk of the steel has in fact already been converted to oxide. I don't know where you are, but the best advice I can give is to go to one of the major reputable restorers - Hutsons in Bradford and Martin Robey in Coventry are the two who come to mind and ask them for their advice on the implications of this hole , and on the most efficient way of tackling it : if, for example, the hole is through to the inner wheel arch, then it may be relatively simple to patch it from the outside

Edit : I now see that you are in Surrey : the most convenient place to go is to Harry Fulford's E type business ( the sponsor of this forum ) which is somewhere in Kent/Sussex - I have no doubt Heuer can tell you exactly where

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#3 Re: Rust should I be concerned

Post by PeterCrespin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:36 pm

davef wrote:Obviously all rust is bad but is this area structural and should I get it fixed now....Is there any treatments that will slow the rust attack that I could apply.
The hole seems to be at the radius arm attachment point and is an MOT fail. Slowing down the rust might have been appropriate in 2005 but you'll need to reverse it now with new metal.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic