Lost brake light, indicators & reversing lamp.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
skiday

#1 Lost brake light, indicators & reversing lamp.

Post by skiday » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:41 pm

HI Chaps

I was off to the MOT today so checked through the lights to find I have lost brake lights (all side lights are good), reversing lamp and indicators (no blinking of lights or dash indication or sound of unit) However I do have the horn, which normally goes together with the brake lights. I have checked all the fuses and the bulbs (with multimeter) all OK. All the above were working (as far as I knew) last time the car went out a fortnight ago. The battery is maintained and full.

Also, on what I would assume is an entirely separate issue, the ignition light is on 90% of the time, but the fan belt is new, the tensioner seems good and the belt is not slipping.

I have the wiring diagram, but that doesn't even tell you which fuse on the car is which number on the diagram.

I booked it in with the auto electrician, but they can't see it till Monday, and there's a JEC drive on Sunday (I'm organizing) Any thoughts.

Lovely weather ain't it

Andrew
Andrew Day. Former owner of S1A 4.2 2+2. Current cars; Aston Martin DBS 1968, Ferrari F355 & Fiat Coupe 20vt. Flag of choice; EU

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Start with the brake lights. Remove both spades on the brake light switch and short them together. With ignition ON the brake lights should come on. If they do you have a faulty (a very common occurrence) switch. If not you know the fault is probably related to the indicators/reversing light. Check fuse 7 and test for voltage using a test light. There should be a fuse designation plate attached to the drop down dash.

It could be a loom fault so check the connecting blocks:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#3 Re: Lost brake light, indicators & reversing lamp.

Post by Simon P » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:16 pm

skiday wrote:However I do have the horn
Yeah - even when they're not working they're still great looking cars, aren't they?

:D
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#4 Re: Lost brake light, indicators & reversing lamp.

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:50 pm

Simon P wrote:
Yeah - even when they're not working they're still great looking cars, aren't they?

Cold shower, over here please nurse - fast as you can!
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
skiday

#5 Re: Lost brake light, indicators & reversing lamp.

Post by skiday » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:06 am

Simon P wrote:

Hahaha

(Unintentional pun)
Andrew Day. Former owner of S1A 4.2 2+2. Current cars; Aston Martin DBS 1968, Ferrari F355 & Fiat Coupe 20vt. Flag of choice; EU

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

Post by 44DHR » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:11 am

Hi Andrew, (fellow Isle of Wight person here)

If the fuses are all Ok, have you chacked the mechanical elements ?

Not sure on your Series 2 car, but on my Series 1 due to the brake light sensor being so close to the exhaust manifolds, if there is no heat shield fitted this will easily knock out the sensor. I keep spare sensors if you want one.

The reversing lamp is something we all only really check at MOT time and this too can be prone to simple issues like blown bulb or poor connections either at the bulb or inside the boot compartment. Worth a check ?

The indicator may be down to similar bulb/connection issues or possibly the Flasher unit. I have a spare unit if required.

Just saying it may be basic mechanical issue rather than electric gremlins - but that ignition light may be another matter.

Give me a call if I can help out.

Regards,

Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
skiday

Post by skiday » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:43 am

Hi Dave

I have checked the brake light switch (by bypassing/shorting it as suggested) OK. All bulbs are good. All fuses are good. Power on both sides of fuse 7. My switch is on the far side of the survo and therefore much less prone to heat damage.

I have booked it in to Luptons on Monday (I was going to take it to them anyway to check why the ignition light is nearly always on, and a few other niggles).

Whilst on the subject of electrics, I have long often wondered why both doors have 'door open' plunger switches. Mine don't currently do anything, and seeing as the one and only interior light is operated by a toggle switch on the dash, what are the door switch supposed to be for?

Dave (44DHR) - I'm doing the Sunday run this weekend. Come on, a good hours drive and a trip to the Alpaca Farm - I hope to see you and Julie. Look out for my email.

Cheers - Andrew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul71a
Great Britain

Post by Paul71a » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:20 am

The door switches operate the "map light" which comes on when the doors are opened........
Paul Brazier. S2 FHC 1970, silver with blue leather. Oh, and a S1 prototype Lotus Elise and a Ferrari 488 GTB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Alty Ian
Great Britain

Post by Alty Ian » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am

I have started to install the new wiring to my car but am finding it difficult to get all the cable routing right. I have the wiring diagrams but apart from Dave's helpful sketch above I cannot find any other drawing showing exact cable routes, the one in the workshop manual is very basic.

Does such a thing exist? and if so can someone point me in its direction please :?
64 S1 4.2 OTS 1E10012 73 S3 2+2 manual 2013 V6 F type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
skiday

Post by skiday » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:04 pm

I wish someone would re-draw the diagram the way the car is laid out. It needs to be done. What I don't understand Ian is why you didn't record how the old wiring was when you removed it. Perhaps it was a part done project? It needs someone who is doing a 'nut-and-bolt' resto to completely draw the whole thing from scratch. It's what I would do. I have colored in the diagram (the one for my car at least) and you can see that here. It is much easier to follow than any black and white one.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/627 ... %20Jag.jpg

Enlarge to A2 will help.

Hope that helps a bit.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Alty Ian
Great Britain

Post by Alty Ian » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks Andrew

It does help a bit, I have done something similar myself but not as good as yours.

I did photograph everything but it was LHD and am now installing a RHD wiring layout and am finding it hard to identify which cable goes where. Mine is a very early S1 4.2 and discovering that the wiring differs from the 4.2 loom I have got, also some of the wire colours in the wiring charts available differ too.

For example the horns are in the bonnet on the car but the loom has them under the header tank.

When I have figured it all out I will do a detailed plan and section of all wiring for an early S1 4.2 OTS as requested.

I also want to do some upgrades, like to replace the cigar lighter with a hazard warning switch, fit a switch panel behind the ash tray front for some extra switches and data point for the 123 Distributor data outlet, charging point for phone etc etc.

Fortunately, I kept the whole existing wiring loom and instrument panel/fuse boards completely intact when I took the car apart so I have an accurate record of how it was wired as a LHD car.

This is going to be a long job
:lol: :lol:
64 S1 4.2 OTS 1E10012 73 S3 2+2 manual 2013 V6 F type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

Post by abowie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Brake lights will probably be the switch.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
skiday

Post by skiday » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:39 am

Alty Ian wrote:Thanks Andrew

I also want to do some upgrades, like to replace the cigar lighter with a hazard warning switch,
:lol: :lol:
Just a thought on that. Even if you don't intend to use a sat-nav or charge your phone, you might one day or the next owner will. Don't leave your car without a 12v power source. SNG Barratt have a kit for a Hazard Warning switch with it's own little dash panel, check that out.

http://www.sngbarratt.com/ProductDetail ... 2fc2ee8cb0

As previously mentioned, my brake light switch is OK. The car is at the auto-electrician and I await their report.

Andrew

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:53 am

Details of how to fit Hazard Warning lights, 2.1v USB socket, auxiliary lighter socket, intermittent wipers, brake light switch and relay operated headlights along with lots of other stuff is in the 'Upgrades' forum.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
skiday

Post by skiday » Fri May 15, 2015 11:02 pm

OK, to give a bit of closure on this issue. Despite the fact that I thought I had checked the fuses properly, it seems that my problem was a fuse not making contact sufficiently well. Confusion about what was working off what fuse led me to check through everything with the wiring diagram for the S1 E-type colourised by Bill Molloy (even though it shouldn't cover my s1.5) and found it much more accurately represented my car. I rearranged all the wiring around the fusses to match the plan, and colour I.D.ed all the wires. I also spent many hours colourising the wiring diagram to correspond to the wires actual colours. I think it will be of great help to any one with a S1, although I have removed the Hazard Warning circuit and other things for non UK cars. If you have a non UK car you can easily pick that bit up from the original and paste it back in on Photoshop. See it here;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/627 ... %20ACD.bmp

I hope that it might be added to the the Knowledge Base.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sat May 16, 2015 9:45 am

Added to KB! Many thanks.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic