Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rswift
Great Britain

#1 Help Newbie turned a simple anti freeze job into a problem

Post by rswift » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Evening,

I'm a new owner of a Series 2 (US Spec)

I was unsure of the Anti-freeze content of the cooling, so with a spare afternoon decided on the simple job of draining a few litres of coolant, and adding anti-freeze. Fast forward a few hours, after re-fillingI appear to have some sort of airlock, as the fans no longer come on, I'm not convinced I'm getting flow past the thermostat, and if I left it the car would run hot.

Prior to this (yesterday) the car ran a treat, fans came on, so otter switch doing it's stuff etc.

I drained the coolant by undoing the bottom hose (didn't want to risk a stuck/seized drain plug).

Any suggestions, or correct manner to fill it up ?

Thank you,

Russell

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi Russel....have the heater control set to hot....fill the rad to top and header tank half way. Then try running again... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswift
Great Britain

Post by rswift » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Thank you, heater set to hot....and have heat, I may have got rid of the air (?)....no gurgling, coolant being expelled, but still no fans....although I have seen them briefly come on this afternoon !. I tried bridging the wiring to the fan, and nothing. The fuse (dashboard) seems ok, and the wiring to the fans has been renewed at some point. Is there a relay, or another in-line fuse anywhere. Do they run independently of each other, i.e. if one is faulty the other should work ?

Thank you

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Both work at the same time. Check that all the connections are clean. There is a relay normally located on the RHS of the picture frame. The green wire is 12v, the Red/Black the switch from the otter and the Green/Black power to the fans.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswift
Great Britain

Post by rswift » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks...spoke too soon, seems to have built up pressure when I undid the header tank cap ! I'm having to admit defeat, and stick her back in the garage as the light goes, trouble is I've now so much coolant around it's a right old mess, so could easily have got in a contact.

I see the relay, looks quite new.....but I need to do a systematic check when I next have more time. If I bypass the Otter switch, should I have the fans running just with the ignition on ?....sorry I know I can check the wiring diagram, but sitting in the semi-darkness with an iPhone !

Do you think I'd be better off draining it (properly) and starting again.

Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:06 pm

First of all simply earth the wire going to the Otter switch and that should make the fans come on. If not check you have 12v on that lead. If not it is the supply. If you have 12v then there is a problem with the relay. It should click when you earth the lead. Check the wiring if it clicks.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

Post by mgcjag » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi Russell......There are two different problems here...One is possible air in the system, the other is an electrical fault with your fans.....just concentrate on the fans first.....don't drain and refill the system...leave it as is.....get the fans working....run the car and the air will probably go.... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Have you put the correct cap back on the correct orifice ? I'm trying to remember which way round they go, but IIRC the unsprung cap goes to the radiator and the sprung pressure cap to the overflow tank

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:57 pm

Correct.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswift
Great Britain

Post by rswift » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Good evening gentleman, than you for all of your help and suggestions so far. So just popped out to the garage.

I definitely have the correct caps on the correct holes.

Relays, on the picture frame I see 2. If I connect both the wires that go to the otter switch (mine the one with two terminals, not a single spade..although presume not relevant) I get a click in the upper relay, but no power to the fans. I have taken this off, cleaned all of the contacts, but still dead. My car is US spec with air-con. (The cooling fans also should come on when the aircon is engaged). Not sure if this is relevant.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:24 pm

Do you have an in-line fuse (maybe fitted by PO) that could have blown? Follow the wires from the fans back towards the relays and see what you find.

If there has been coolant soaked everywhere it is worthwhile to leave no stone unturned. Find the + / - supply to the fans and connect that directly to a 12V supply that you trust (e.g. straight to the battery or to a 12V charger), in order to check that the fan motor commutators & brushes are not caked in anti-freeze goo or shorted out.

Methodical work will pay dividends on this type of gremlin. Print out the wiring diagram and start to follow the individual wires, switches, otters, relays etc.
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswift
Great Britain

Post by rswift » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Ok, looking at the excellent wiring diagram I've just found on here, I think the top relay is the additional one fitted for the air con, and the lower one...obviously the one I can't reach is the fan one....I'll be outside if anyone needs me....not helping getting my VAT done !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Assume you have wifi out in the garage?

Cup of tea and an iPad and you'll soon be sorted :D
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswift
Great Britain

Post by rswift » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:37 pm

Right couple of free hours, so back out there !

I have 12v to the relay.
If I connect fans to 12V they spin up.
If I connect 12 to wiring to the fans they spin up.
I hear the relay click on the otter switch

If I go via the relay, nothing.

If I put multimeter on the spade terminal connected to the fan I am only showing about 8v....so this looks like the problem. I've had the relay apart (!)...all looks clean, and no evidence of any coolant ingress....obviously not as watertight as it was !

Does this sound like I have found the root of the problem....i.e. the relay, or could there be any other wiring issues ?

Sorry, I'm busking this electric thing a bit !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mountain King

Post by Mountain King » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Having just done my S3, check out the animation I did in the knowledge base...
It does sound like the relay is not functioning correctly.

I'd disconnect the wires from C1, C2 & C3, take a photo first on your phone...
Put a multi meter on continuity test mode and check to ensure:
Normally closed - C2-C3
Then trip the otter switch, ie bridge the lugs
Activated C1-C2
If all works then check for an inline fuse on the live cable, brown colour. I had one on my S3 which was hidden out of sight, it was broken but amazingly still worked sometimes, hence just checking the voltage at the live or brown wire where it entered the relay (C1) was insufficient.

Andy
1973 Series 3 OTC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswift
Great Britain

Post by rswift » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks Andy, I can't actually find your original post....

The wiring is also a different colour code, but no surprise there !....presume what ever was on hand at Browns Lane at the time, also mine is LHD with Aircon (fitted by the dealers before sale as far as I know) so an extra relay fitted near the fan.....but I'd like to see your animation of this.

Thanks

Russell

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mountain King

Post by Mountain King » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:32 am

This is for a S3,
But the principal is the same I believe

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/748 ... rcuit.ppsm
1973 Series 3 OTC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswift
Great Britain

Post by rswift » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:40 am

Thank you.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswift
Great Britain

Post by rswift » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:37 am

So....getting there. It would appear all of the wiring/relays at the front are all fine (although I've replaced the one I had in pieces) !

My wiring doesn't correspond to the wiring diagram, and the relay for the fan is a SRB111, 5 pin.

A bit more trawling tells me there should be a 12v permanent feed from the Horn relay (which I believe is the top of three near the battery).

There is a new wire the has been run by a PO.

I'm only showing 8v volts on this wire, so I have now cleaned up all of the contacts, also had the battery out and taken off/cleaned the main earth strap....now ran out of time, but getting there.

I'll do some more research for the Horn relay....but a great learning curve ! (I think)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

Post by abowie » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:09 pm

rswift wrote:If I connect both the wires that go to the otter switch.
This means that your otter switch works. And that the low power side of your relay probably works.
Now check that you have power coming out of the high power side of your relay, and then check the wires going to the fans. And the fan earths.
If that all checks out, try putting power directly to each fan and making sure they both work.
One of these steps should isolate the problem for you.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic