Oil Filter help required

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
M4rk

#1 Oil Filter help required

Post by M4rk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:08 am

Hi all,

I hope someone can help, on removing the oil filter unit from the block (4.2) not the filter housing but the aluminium part bolted to the block. I have found a small (approx. 15mm diameter) metal valve loose inside, I can't get it out because the metal disc that the filter sits against is preventing it's escape.
I have looked on some exploded views of the unit but can't see where this valve belongs can anyone help?

Many thanks

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

Post by Mich7920 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi Marc,

The disc can be desassemble unscrewing the part in it's center. Look at the page engine 4.2, Plate 3 of the knowledge base.

But if you have something strange in this part of the car, take appart the aluminium part and try to understand what is messing. Your engine will thank you !

Hope it help you.
Michel
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
M4rk

Post by M4rk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:32 am

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the reply, I managed to get the metal disc off, it was held in place by pinching the aluminium (I have a series 2) found where the valve should be, just need to find out which way around it fits in the hole?

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

Post by Mich7920 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi Marc,

I don't want to tell you something wrong.
Could you join some photo ?
I don't remember something with 15mm diameter
There is a balance valve but it's a ball and a spring inside a bolt normaly impossible to disassemble.
There is also these 3 pieces, valve / spring / spider which are in the axle of the hose return oil.
Normaly nothing with diametre 15mm.

Michel
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Not sure if these help. From an S1 but the three styles of oil cleaner housing are interchangeable:
3.8 version:

4.2 version (S2 version is similar but the housing is round):

The oil cleaner assembly #C21911 (FA.2119) on the 4.2 cars is different in three areas:
a) the oil galleries are a different shape (compare the diagrams) and it uses a different gasket as a result
b) it has an anchor insert (part no 11 on the diagram below) screwed into the filter head to receive the cannister bolt
c) the cannister bolt is a different length: part #7987 vs #8705 on the 3.8

This thread may also help: viewtopic.php?t=6122&highlight=oil+filter
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
M4rk

Post by M4rk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the help, I spent some time googling images and finally came across an image showing the valve fitted.

As it happens the link to an earlier thread is exactly the same as my issue, thanks

All sorted now all pinched back in place

Cheers

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rolando38
France

Post by rolando38 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:21 pm

to stay on the same topic, I did my oil and filter change today, and I was a bit puzzled when I removed the filter

here its was

and the Barratt equivalent is only a paper filter, with 2 seals, same diameter, one small and one large section

my doubts:
. do I have to use both seals ? or are they meant to fit different cars ? I can use the larger section one, but can't see any use of the small section one
. should I discard completely the old metal one or try to insert the new paper one into the metal sleeve ? ; why did previous manufacturer put a metal sleeve if this was not needed ?
2+2 1970

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
M4rk

Post by M4rk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:31 pm

This is the same as the one I fitted using the thin rubber seal

The steel casing is probably missing due to manufacture cost saving, however I would expect the new one to improve oil flow

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rolando38
France

Post by rolando38 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:31 pm

thanks
I fitted the larger seal, but I'll keep a close eye on potential leaks in the next miles
2+2 1970

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Desmo
Great Britain

Post by Desmo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Hello,

Are the 3.8 and 4.2 oil cleaner aluminium heads not interchangeable?
Thanks for help.

John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic