Powerlite high torque starter motor

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
dmitchell
Great Britain

#1 Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by dmitchell » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:51 pm

I have just fitted a new Powerlite RAC404 high torque starter motor to my 1973 series 3 V12 automatic transmission etype.
When test driving the starter motor pinion touches the drive plate ring gear. I have removed the new starter motor and measured the distance from the end of the pinion to the flange at 18mm, I have checked my original Lucas starter motor and the distance is 11mm which explains why the pinion contacts the ring gear.
I have called Powerlite who were very helpful and advised me that there should be a 10mm spacer between the starter and bell housing, I advised them that there was not a spacer fitted on my vehicle and none is shown in the V12 Jaguar parts manual that I can find.
I also asked if there was any difference between the ring gear position on a manual or automatic transmission engine and appropriate starter motor, they said not.
Has anyone had any experience of this situation as advice would be appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phil.dobson@mac.com
Great Britain

#2 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by phil.dobson@mac.com » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:13 am

Yes but not on a V12. Not that you want to hear this but having tried these replacement starters from a number of manufacturers I am totally convinced they are a waste of time and effort. In the case of the later etypes the original is perfectly adequate. Always ask yourself 'what problem am I trying to fix'
Forget the weight saving. Forget the lower current consumption.
Just my experience.
Best regards
PAD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#3 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by MarekH » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:07 am

What the people at Powerlite meant to say was "Our starter motor doesn't fit your car, but it will if you fit the 10mm spacer which we should have provided with the starter. Sorry, here's a 10mm spacer for you."

If you want to read my thoughts on these starters, on the jag-lovers.com forum, search for "starter, MarekH" or some other similar search term.

kind regards
Marek
Last edited by MarekH on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#4 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by abowie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:12 am

phil.dobson@mac.com wrote: Forget the weight saving. Forget the lower current consumption.
PAD
What he said.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#5 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by mark10337 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 pm

On cold winter days I'm very pleased I have my lower power, geared, high torque starter motor. It is massively superior at cranking the car than the original. Depends what problem you are trying to fix...
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#6 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by Hugo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:08 am

I would have thought the main gain is that they are more efficient & suck less power from the battery. This can and will make the difference between go/nogo in a marginal situation.
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#7 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by chrisfell » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 am

Those of us that have fitted these will attest, the main advantage is starting speed - the speed it turns the engine. Mine is so quick that there is enough fuel air mixture to fire on the second or third compression. In other words my engine fires from cold in less than one revolution. The old starter required two or three revolutions, at least five compressions, before it drew enough fuel to fire. The draw in the battery, the weight saving, these are additional benefits, but not the main reason to fit.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#8 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by Hugo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:56 am

I would think the slower starting with the old starter has as much to do with the amount of current it is sucking out of the coil. Engines don't need to turn over fast to start as long as there's a healthy spark.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#9 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by chrisfell » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:12 am

Hugo wrote:I would think the slower starting with the old starter has as much to do with the amount of current it is sucking out of the coil. Engines don't need to turn over fast to start as long as there's a healthy spark.
That, and the speed of air drawn through the carbs.

On the subject of starting an E-Type with SUs, I have never opened the throttle when starting. My engine will start just with the lowered jets and slightly opened butterflies.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#10 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by Hugo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:36 am

You'd be surprised - the old hand cranks were quite fast enough. Older engines had smaller venturis (venturii?) of course, and when the throttle is closed or almost closed it will such enough fuel out of the jets.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#11 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by Mark Gordon » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:11 pm

chrisfell wrote:
Hugo wrote:I would think the slower starting with the old starter has as much to do with the amount of current it is sucking out of the coil. Engines don't need to turn over fast to start as long as there's a healthy spark.
That, and the speed of air drawn through the carbs.

On the subject of starting an E-Type with SUs, I have never opened the throttle when starting. My engine will start just with the lowered jets and slightly opened butterflies.
Pushing on the throttle pedal with an SU carb does nothing until a significant amount of air is drawn through them once the engine is running. That causes the piston to rise and allow more air/fuel to pass. The first setting on the choke lowers the bridge and enriches the mixture, so it's not a true choke in the traditional sense of restricting air flow to pull more fuel past the jet. The proper procedure for starting a cold Series I E Type is gearbox in neutral, foot off of the clutch pedal, choke on (amount depends on ambient temperature, but I just set it "full on"), ignition switch on and allow the carbs to charge (wait until the fuel pump ticking stops) and then push the starter button. A properly set up ignition and carburation system should allow instant starting; after sitting for a week regardless of the ambient temperature (as long as it's above freezing), my engine with its original Lucas starter fires in less than two seconds of turning.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#12 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by Hugo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm not sure that is totally correct. I think you will increase the airflow simply by opening the butterfly, even if the piston initially stays where it is. Not by much, maybe, but enough to make a difference. I think.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#13 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by MarekH » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Absolutely correct Hugo. You get tons more airflow if you open the throttle. The carburettor piston then has no choice but to move to where the air pressure difference between the top and bottom of its rubber diaphragm dictate it must and that is a function of manifold vacuum.

Airflow is also the way to hot start a carburettored v12 - you clear out the plenums, move new fuel and plenty of it through the manifolds and into the cylinders with airflow.

What the high torque motor does for you is buy you a bit more cranking time to get the mixture right before your battery croaks. We know that's ALL it does because a fuel injected car starts very quickly - it has the same engine but meters the correct amount of fuel and delivers it exactly to where it is needed at the exact time it is needed. The carburettored v12 by contrast needs to atomise the fuel, send it into the plenum, up and over the cam covers, along the runners and to the cylinders. It won't surprise you to know that with poor airflow and a host of cold metal srfaces between these two points, not much of the fuel atomises in the first place and of that that does, much simply condenses back out on the metal surfaces a long way from the insides of the cylinders. In the mean time, you are cranking away until enough of it gets into the cylinders for the three or four combustion events which tip the engine into "running".

Essentially, if you wait for the float bowls to fill up and have the right amount of choke for the temperature you are at, then the high torque motor's spare capacity for useful work is never required.

The high torque motor for the v12 runs at 160rpm and the standard Lucas item at 120rpm. My car is fuel injected and has a data logger on it. From that I can see what the engine speed is and that it often starts within 0.1seconds of turning the key, which corresponds to about the 4th cylinder to fire, i.e. within 2/3 of a single crank rotation and it has already taken off past 350rpm. This is with a standard Lucas starter.

I also know that perfect fuel atomisation has ocurred - I run LPG.

Even when starting on petrol it can be just as quick - the computer is set to dose it with what it takes to make it go.

Being able to see all of this on a graph on a computer screen means there is really much less " mystique" and "maybe" to all of this.

In short, if the gear reduction motor is the same price or cheaper than the repair to your current starter and that needs replacement or repair, then most certainly go for it. If not, then it's personal choice as to whether you feel the incremental cost is value for money or not.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#14 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by Hugo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:46 pm

MarekH wrote:Absolutely correct Hugo. You get tons more airflow if you open the throttle. The carburettor piston then has no choice but to move to where the air pressure difference between the top and bottom of its rubber diaphragm dictate it must and that is a function of manifold vacuum.
Marek
That wasn't quite what I meant - the piston does have a choice - it can stick! If it sticks closed, I was speculating that you would still get a bit of increased airflow purely by virtue of the butterfly being open. And Strombergs have diaphragms whereas SU's don't I believe. Although the first SU carburettors had a calf-skin bellows instead of a spun aluminium dashpot & piston - hand-stitched by old Mrs Skinner (of Lilly & Skinners shoes - SU standing for Skinner's Union).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#15 Re: Powerlite high torque starter motor

Post by MarekH » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:46 pm

I was referring to the v12, as that was the subject of the original thread. This will have originally been fitted with a Lucas starter and Stromberg carburettors.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic