Torsion bar reaction plate bolt nuts

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Durango2k
Germany

#1 Torsion bar reaction plate bolt nuts

Post by Durango2k » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi guys,

Tried to fit the large TB bolts - the sideway ones which go towards the footwells.

Found I have a problem:

RH side, I have a loong new bolt from SNG- but there is no thread in the floor rail. Maybe there once was one, now, the bolt fully shows in the footwell.

LH side, there is no hole visible. PO used a "basic" replacement parts as Pete once told me, so I guess either some remains of a bolt are there or the footwell side of the bolt is just rail or footwell metal.

Now, what would you do ?

RH : use a nut, outside the rail, weld it to the rail after torqueing it down ?
I don't really want to drill and hack the rail to set an internal nut, it would end up poorly, given the limited access with engine and gearbox fitted.

LH: use a sharp pointed chisel (as you do before drilling in flat metal), and hit it with a hammer (hint! a hammer is always involved !), then look for the dent from the footwell side to locate it, then use the same chisel in the footwell in reverse and drill from here, finally as there is no thread visible do the rest the same way as RH ?

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Durango2k
Germany

Post by Durango2k » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi,

Methinks I got it.

The SNG catalogue lists a nut on this bolt.

This means RH is just fine, there never ever was a thread in the frame rail or floor section.

LH is simple- someone welded the floor over the hole, so I have to locate it and drill it where it should be.

And order another longer bolt then the ones I have - no idea why mine are shorter. Maybe I had to grind them of 8 yrs ago and forgot about that since.

Now, there are two smaller holes behind the large ones. What is their purpose ? Maybe 8 millimetres ?

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vrracing
United States of America

Post by vrracing » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Not sure these are the ones to which you are referring. Sounds like it. Mine are the same on both sides. A big bolt/nut and a small bolt/nut. Neither set of nuts is welded to the frame.

Jim
70 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Durango2k
Germany

Post by Durango2k » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi Jim,

Yes thats it, 100%.

Interesting, in my 2+2 the nuts are inside the car. So my car has a lower footwell then a coupe ?

What does the secon nut / bolt do ? What is fitted there ? Or is it a stiffener thing ?

Carsten

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vrracing
United States of America

Post by vrracing » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:21 am

Oh, my understanding is that 2+2 is very different from OTS/FHC in the floors. Mine is an OTS so just pretend I never posted. 8)
70 E-type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic