If you have a technical question .........

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#1 If you have a technical question .........

Post by Heuer » Sun May 10, 2009 1:16 pm

If you have a problem or technical question relating to your E-Type it is more than likely to have already been seen and solved by one of the Forum members. For a prompt and accurate reply please include the year and model of car together with any relevant changes you have made. It would also be useful to understand what diagnostic tests already undertaken. Pictures can help enormously so try and include one in the post if relevant.

Finally if you are hoping for a quick answer click on 'watch this topic for replies' at the bottom of the page and you should be sent an email telling you a response has been posted.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

aussieseries2dhc

#2 maximun overbore size for 4.2 litre engine 69 series 2 OTS ?

Post by aussieseries2dhc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:29 pm

I am seeking advice on the the maximun overbore size for the 4.2 litre engine.

Is it .040"?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:35 pm

According to the manual - 0.030", 0.76mm
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

aussieseries2dhc

#4 stroker kits for 4.2 litre engine

Post by aussieseries2dhc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:35 pm

I see that Eagle offer a 4.7 litre engine for their etypes.

I assume this capacity can only be achieved by using a modified crankshaft and pistons or "stroker kit" as our friends over the pond call it.

Can anyone advise who manufactures stroker kits in the UK.

Also their performance and reliability experience with a stroker kit installed.

I have been told that when pushed hard, the block webbing can crack?

Any advice appreciated.

john

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:15 pm

John

Several companies offer 4.5l or 4.7l conversion (CMC, JD Classics, Eagle) but they are supplied as complete engines and warranted as such. You could try VSE http://www.vse-engines.com/ or Rob Beere http://www.rob-beere-racing.co.uk/ for advice but I think you will be hard stretched to find a kit of any sort. Even 300bhp racing E-Types stick to 3.8 or 4.2 if only for reliability. Those big capacity conversions are very rare which kind of suggests they are not worthwhile. Speak to Rob Beere as he has a wealth of experience in modifying and racing E-Types.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

aussieseries2dhc

Post by aussieseries2dhc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi David,

many thanks for your prompt reply to both my questions.

Much appreciated.

regards,
john

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnhcrighton

#7 ignition light/oil pressure warning

Post by johnhcrighton » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:56 am

I have a 1966 4.2 series 1. I an intrigued by references on the forum to the fact that in early cars the ignition warning light also functioned as an oil pressure warning light. I am unable to find a 3AW relay so I assume my ignition light also falls into this dual purpose category. But there is an oil pressure gauge, which seems to work. Why, then, would one need the ignition light as a warning device? I have become more interested in this question lately as the ignition light stopped working! (The alternator and charge seem ok so there must be another issue in the circuit).
John Crighton, Currumbin, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:09 am

I have twice lost oil pressure under heavy braking downhill, and the first thing which alerted me to the fact was the "ignition" warning light . A glance at the pressure gauge confirmed it and a quick switch off saved any damage ( I hope) . The sensor is like a small brake light pressure switch plugged into the main gallery on the right hand side of the engine forward of the oil filter - check that your wire has not come off

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnhcrighton

Post by johnhcrighton » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Thank you Christopher. I found a sensor mounted on the assembly that hosts the oil filter - I imagine that is a variation on the sensor to which you refer. Sadly (in a strange way!) the connection seems sound so I will need to look elsewhere. I plan to replace the loom early next year as part of a reconversion project (LHD to RHD). Perhaps in the course of that exercise I will be able to correct the fault in the ignition light circuit.

regards

PS: Am I hopelessly optimistic to imagine that replacing a loom is possible with the engine etc in situ?!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnhcrighton

Post by johnhcrighton » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Oops! As soon as I despatched the preceding message it occured to me that the sensor on the oil filter housing is probably the sender for the oil pressure gauge. I will need to search further for the ignition light/oil pressure warning light sensor

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:24 am

Yes, the sensor you are looking for is about half the size of the 3 cms or thereabouts diameter one which is the pressure gauge sender

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SirWilli

#12 pipe welding aircon

Post by SirWilli » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:49 am

Hello everybody. I have a specific question. The low pressure air con pipe on my e type has a slice cut through it, caused by the wiper linkage. Id imagine all the refrigerant has leaked out of the sytem, or on one side of it at least.
Does anyone know if it is safe to get the hole in the pipe welded, (pipe is aluminium I think).
I was thinking of getting someone I know that I know who can weld aluminium to patch this up, but also wondering am I better to get an aircon expert to fix it. If i fix it by myself i could us special pipe clamps befor welding (can see it here). Greets from germany, willi

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mtnjag
United States of America

#13 Re: If you have a technical question .........

Post by mtnjag » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:11 pm

I have seen a tech article somewhere instructing how to add a relay behind the dash to route power through rather than directly through the ignition switch. Eliminating the associated heat at the switch and improving reliability. Can't seem to find it now. Wondering if you have instructions or can direct me to the location of the article.
I have a 62 etype, converted to negative ground, running an alternator with about 60amps.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mtnjag
United States of America

#14 Re: If you have a technical question .........

Post by mtnjag » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Oops, kept searching and found it in Etype Upgrades forum.
Layne
Car #876005, 62 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic