Dynamo conversion

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#1 Dynamo conversion

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi all. I’ve got a rather bastardized survivor LHD 1963 3.8L OTS which has a C45 dynamo and I’d like to replace it with an alternator which looks like the C45. There are lots of options out there of course and I’m wondering what the latest thinking is in terms of quality of product, reliability, customer service, ease of installation with the following brands:

Fosseway
Dynalite
AccuSpark
Etc.....

I have read all the threads on here, but there’s not a lot of info about what folks have found in terms of pros and cons from the various suppliers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1963 3.8L S1 OTS - apparently resurrected from multiple sources because not a single number matches :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#2 Re: Dynamo conversion

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:44 pm

By the way, she is negative ground already and I will be replacing the ammeter with a Smith voltmeter.
1963 3.8L S1 OTS - apparently resurrected from multiple sources because not a single number matches :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#3 Re: Dynamo conversion

Post by Peter27 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi.

I fitted a 'Dynator' supplied by Autoelectric supplies:
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/197
The original one they supplied to me had a problem (long story) but they swapped it for one from a new manufacturer - this was over a year after the original purchase. Great after-care service and they have ceased using the original manufacturer. I have a positive earth car but fitting was not difficult and the unit has performed reliably. Still wonder whether I really needed to change from a dynamo....but straightforward to change back again I suppose!
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Dynamo conversion

Post by Heuer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 am

Fosseway use a Nippon Denso alternator within the C45 case so you get the look and brilliant reliability.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#5 Re: Dynamo conversion

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks. Fosseway is the one I’ve been looking at recently. They’ve been very helpful in terms of answering my questions, etc.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fasthound1963OTS
United States of America

#6 Re: Dynamo conversion

Post by Fasthound1963OTS » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:59 pm

I pulled the trigger on the Fosseway Dynator. Will provide feedback after the install. Also decided to upgrade to the standard Fosseway lightweight 4-piston calipers in silver with color-matched logos so not as eye-catching as black logo on silver caliper. Will also report back after the install.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic