Engine Number on Crankshaft

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Philk
Great Britain

#1 Engine Number on Crankshaft

Post by Philk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 pm

I am in the process of having a full mechanical restoration undertaken on my 1964 3.8 OTS that I purchased earlier last year. I was extremely pleased to find (when the engine was stripped down) that the engine had matching numbers on the camshaft and flywheel as well as the block and head. Ditto for the top (alloy) and bottom (iron casing) of the gearbox. Several other components (wiper motor, starter motor and the base of the coil) all had date codes relevant to the car's manufacture. All have now been photographed as they assist in providing good evidence against the Heritage Certificate.

I have no plans to sell the car for many years. However I'm conscious that more and more focus may be placed on "matching numbers" as time goes by. So, if you happen to be planning on getting work done on your engine, don't forget to ask them to take pictures of any numbered components you never ordinarily see!
Last edited by Philk on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#2 Re: Engine Number on Camshaft

Post by 288gto » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi Phil,

Do you mean "camshaft" or crankshaft?
I only ask as I've seen the engine number on the crankshaft, flywheel, head and block but not the camshafts.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Philk
Great Britain

#3 Re: Engine Number on Camshaft

Post by Philk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:05 pm

288gto wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:14 pm
Hi Phil,

Do you mean "camshaft" or crankshaft?
I only ask as I've seen the engine number on the crankshaft, flywheel, head and block but not the camshafts.

Simon
Yes, crankshaft! Word blindness! The number is normally on the counter balance weight for #1 cylinder
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic