New exhaust required

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
markb427
Great Britain

#1 New exhaust required

Post by markb427 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi
I need a complete new system. I Was wondering where is the best place to get one from? At the moment I have the original headers and engine standard 4.2. I would like in the near future to have a little more performance from the engine, for fast road use and probably not on track. I like spirited driving shall we say and touring as well, so dont want anything too loud . Now there's so much info, I'm getting confused about big bore systems, tubular manifolds, I'm not sure which way to go. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: New exhaust required

Post by Heuer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Avoid big bore exhausts and tubular manifolds. They produce way too much noise, cause a torque dip at 2,250 rpm and the tubular manifolds will blister the paint on your frames because of the heat they radiate. Having tried various systems over the years my favourite is a standard bore (1.75") system retaining the cast manifolds which are optimally designed for the XK engine. If you want a hike in power (about 6% according to Jaguar) specify straight through rather than baffled silencers. If you want the original E-Type exhaust note fit chromed mild steel resonators whilst having the rest of the system in stainless steel. If you want another 10% power hike (according to Jaguar tests) remove the air silencer/filter and fit an ITG filter. I have tested most filters and the best solution is to press fit a £70 ITG Maxogen JC60/99 filter to the standard plenum. This combination of silencer and filter will give you about 16% more power, there will be no torque dip and the car will not be too noisy, at least until you plant your foot to the floor!

More info here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3462
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3394
viewtopic.php?p=22953#p22953
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
markb427
Great Britain

#3 Re: New exhaust required

Post by markb427 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Thank you,
I'll take your advice and go along those lines. The manifolds need to be re coated and one of the stud eyes is cracked,sounds like another search. Where would be the best place to source the exhaust from? I have the magoletsi air filter as my cars air cleaner assembly was missing.
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: New exhaust required

Post by Heuer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Classic Fabs, Ecosse Motorsport or PD Gough (Nottingham). The latter can make you a system in either mild steel or stainless from their original patterns. Jaguar Classic were advertising a mild steel system a while ago so maybe worth giving them a call and see what they are charging. There are also other manufacturers of stainless systems, just stick to the standard bore despite some vendors trying to convince you otherwise.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#5 Re: New exhaust required

Post by Sarthe72 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:44 am

Classic Fabs for me. I helped a friend fit his system and it was beautifully made and millimetre perfect.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

richard btype
Great Britain

#6 Re: New exhaust required

Post by richard btype » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Call me old fashioned but a standard mild steel system (now available from Jaguar direct) ticks all the boxes.. :bouncyyellow:
Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#7 Re: New exhaust required

Post by abowie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:13 pm

The Bell stainless systems that SNGB and others sell are very good. We routinely fit them to our restorations as they are hard to beat for both fit and price.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457..oops. Jezza the V12 XJS race car.
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#8 Re: New exhaust required

Post by 1954Etype » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:49 am

Agree on the Bell, Classic Fabs and Ecosse Motorsport. All do the job for various prices.
Angus 65 OTS 1E11497. 67 FHC 1E33656

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#9 Re: New exhaust required

Post by Heuer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:42 am

Richard is correct. Once you have heard and driven an E-Type with a mild steel exhaust you realise how horrible the stainless systems sound. Admittedly you will need to replace the mild steel system every 20 years or so but who cares! Owners go to all the trouble of getting their E-Type's as correct as possible and then, in the misguided belief in longevity, lose that glorious sound. Besides, we should be supporting Jaguar Classic to encourage them to produce more original pattern parts rather than putting the money in the pockets of others.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#10 Re: New exhaust required

Post by johnetype » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm

I want to buy one of the mild steel Jaguar Classic exhaust systems which I understand you order from your local Jaguar dealer? Does anyone know if trade/club membership/any other discounts can apply?

John
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Slipstream
United States of America

#11 Re: New exhaust required

Post by Slipstream » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:37 pm

I find it hard to believe that stainless steel systems sound significantly different from mild steel systems. Can someone provide the technical differences between mild and stainless materials which could produce this alleged sound difference? (Yield strength, modulus of elasticity, etc) My rusty old system does sound different than my new stainless system, but I think that's mainly due to leaks 8-)
Bob
1967 E Type OTS
2002 Honda S2000

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

richard btype
Great Britain

#12 Re: New exhaust required

Post by richard btype » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Bob

As a non science seat of the pants response the only way I could describe the difference between mild and stainless steel in the exhaust:

If one were to take a sheet of both materials the mild in comparison is softer and more yielding (if you were to bend it say) somehow this is reflected in its absorbtion of noise. I've no experience of stainless in an etype but with my BMW M3 with standard system in comparison to a friends identical car with a stainless, there is a build up of resonance and a coarser, harsher, tinnier and louder note when climbing through the rev range.

My friend incidentally loves the increased sound and hullabaloo, I find it tiring and annoying!

My uncle used to say that when a mild steel unit started leaking it was time for it to be ditched anyway - being so full of carbon deposits and generally bunged up. Not so sure that's true with today's modern, cleaner emission engines but probably still so with our old classics?
Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#13 Re: New exhaust required

Post by cactusman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:53 pm

There are many grades of stainless steel. The composition is varied according to application. In general the stainless steel used for exhausts is 304 grade or A2 steel containing, among other constituents, Chromium, nickel and manganese. It is the cheaper end of the stainless steel spectrum but is resistant to corrosion at room temperature. However it does eventually corrode a bit when hot and if used in exhausts the baffles in the silencers will eventually vanish. That said I have had a stainless steel exhaust on my mg for 20+ years. Probably now straight through but otherwise perfectly serviceable. If you are really bothered about originality or exhaust note then get a mild steel system. Otherwise get a stainless steel system as the car will rust faster than the exhaust :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#14 Re: New exhaust required

Post by rfs1957 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:58 pm

If sarthe72 reads this, I replied to his PM but he has never "collected" it.
Rory
Rory
3.8 OTS Cream 877393 Built May 28th 1962
1978 Mini Van
(plus bevel and belt single-cylinder Ducatis)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

#15 Re: New exhaust required

Post by 64etype » Wed May 31, 2017 8:28 pm

Here's another option....conventional mild steel exhaust that has been coated with "Jet Hot" type ceramic coating. Good sound plus rust protection, but primary benefit is that it keeps much of the heat from radiating into the cabin.. I had this done by a company that coats pipe for offshore oil rigs.

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Markymark
Great Britain

#16 Re: New exhaust required

Post by Markymark » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi All,
I also need a new exhaust and wondered if anyone has any experience of the system offered by Jaguar Classic Parts?
I'm keen to keep the car sounding right by using mild steel and the prices look reasonable...

Thanks,
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#17 Re: New exhaust required

Post by johnetype » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 am

I recently bought a Jaguar Classic parts exhaust system.

I ordered it via their website which lets you select which items of the exhaust system you want by their original part number. I was pleased by this as it means in the future if a section or part does rust out, it can be replaced on it's own. The center boxes for instance are only around £100.

The exhaust was delivered to my local Jaguar dealer where I collected and paid for it. I paid £600 inc. VAT for the parts I ordered which was basically the complete exhaust including downpipes minus the rubber mounts and clamps. That price included a small discount for being a member of the JEC.

The resonators are beautifully made and resplendent in their chrome finish. The main center boxes are standard mild steel exhaust with average welds and the downpipes are shaped to fit just so with original style flexi joints. The pipes that pass under the rear IRS are suitably flattened. For better or worse, the system is made exactly as it would have been in the late 60s as far as I can tell.

My only concern is as you look into the main center exhaust boxes you can see that the downpipes feed into a dead end pipe with only an array of holes around the side to let the exhaust gasses pass. Could a flake of carbon from an old engine block block some of these holes and are they unnecessarily restrictive, I don't know? A Bell or Double S stainless system could be made just the same way, I don't know.

I can't say how the system sounds as I'm not able to start my engine or run my car but it certainly looks the part. When I can, I'll report back.

John
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Markymark
Great Britain

#18 Re: New exhaust required

Post by Markymark » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks John.
Sounds good to me. My existing system is custom made from what I can tell and since I'm only looking to replace the centre boxes, I may go a different route. Either way, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic