Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#1 Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Vonkie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Hello people.

According to Jonathan Wood the original electric (lawnmower) fan on the 3.8 drew between 6 and 7 amps. It was notoriously feeble. My recent acquisition is currently undergoing various surgical sequences before she gets taken into my custody. One of the things that had already been done to her was the fitting of a Kenlowe fan (a very standard upgrade on the 3.8s). The original fan is still in situ, but has been disabled so that only the Kenlowe engages, otherwise too much power would be drawn by both fans. I don't know how much the Kenlowe draws. I have heard that the poor little dynamo (another cute foible of the 3.8 that went out with the introduction of the 4.2 with its alternator), slightly dodgy at the best of times, struggles with the Kenlowe.

Should I be worried? Or simply learn to juggle the fan and the charging in traffic? (I'll have my hands full enough double clutching the Mossbox...). I would hate to be compelled to modify the cute foible and replace the dynamo with an alternator. But I would also hate running flat every so often in traffic. I suppose this is another reason why I would probably have to live with the poor lighting the headlamps will achieve at night, as powering them up would suck even more amps and exhaust the dynamo.

Any wisdom much appreciated.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by cactusman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:20 pm

The fan runs when the engine is hot and probably idling in a queue. At idle the old dynamo generates very little juice so any electrical items on will be running off the battery. Assume a 50 amp hour battery and ten amps from your fan...five hours before it is flat. It would be less in a real queue as the fuel pump uses about 2 amps and your spark will be using an amp or so. But so long as your battery is good and it's not dark with the lights on too you should still be good for well over an hour idling before the battery fails. My 3.8 is on the dynamo and non issues so far...I would not be unduly worried unless you are going somewhere busy and hot.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#3 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by rfs1957 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Been running with a dynamo and a Kenlowe for over 10 years, including Hot and Busy, and never had the slightest issue.

And have a lower-capacity battery.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4426&p=78154&hilit=battery#p78154

And have illegal higher-wattage H4 bulbs (yes, with relays).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5214&p=36869&hilit=regulator#p36869

And have the original regulator.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4428&p=30423&hilit=regulator#p30423

It's not a problem.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by cactusman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Rory says it all....not a problem. Incidentally Coolkat in the USA sell a drop in replacement for the old and useless flymo fan. Fits straight onto the existing fan mount and works a dream...and looks close to factory too...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#5 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Vonkie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks guys

That's reassuring.

I may even see if I could get a halogen option for the lights
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

#6 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Moeregaard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:39 am

cactusman wrote:Rory says it all....not a problem. Incidentally Coolkat in the USA sell a drop in replacement for the old and useless flymo fan. Fits straight onto the existing fan mount and works a dream...and looks close to factory too...
The Coolcat fan is the best aftermarket unit I've seen to date. It integrates beautifully with the factory fan shroud, so that you get a good pressure drop behind the radiator for efficient cooling. I ran on on my '66 FHC and had no problems with overheating in Southern California traffic. As I recall, the current draw was around eight amps, so your dynamo should be able to cope if you're not running a bunch of other accessories at the same time.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#7 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Mark Gordon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:14 pm

+1 on the Coolcat system and most anything made by Mike Frank. My experience with mine is identical to Moeregaard's. According to Mike, his motor for the series I's draws less than 7 amps which is pretty amazing for the amount of air that it moves.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#8 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Vonkie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Great, if the Kenlowe does not work too well, I'll get a Coolcat. I think the Coolcat is a US product, and the Kenlowes are more easily obtainable here, but presumably SNG Barratt also supply the Coolcats.

But first, I need the CAR! Lots happening to her as we speak. Looks like the garage construction will beat the car finalisation at this rate!

This forum is a wonderful font of info. I will feel less alone and palely loitering when faced with all the inevitable foibles in the months and years ahead. Especially as I ain't no mechanic's derriere.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#9 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Heuer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Ken Verity in Rotherham sells the Coolcat fan. Fosseway sell something very similar but include a matching cowl: http://www.fossewayperformance.co.uk/e- ... oling-fan/
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#10 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Vonkie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks Tag.

Way down at the southern tip of Africa, Rotherham and the USA are much of a muchness. My guy is a Barratt vendor, making Barratt supplies easier. Things sometimes disappear on their way to us...
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#11 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by cactusman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:40 pm

I did read some rumour somewhere that Kenlowe no longer make fans....although there seem to be plenty out there so maybe an urban myth or fake news as the Donald would say :banghead:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#12 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Gfhug » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Vonkie wrote:Thanks Tag.
I can imagine Heuer (David) stalking off in a huff as methinks his interest in those watches is from before they were sullied with that 'Tag' :lol:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#13 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Heuer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Gfhug wrote: I can imagine Heuer (David) stalking off in a huff as methinks his interest in those watches is from before they were sullied with that 'Tag' :lol:
TAG Heuer began as Uhrenmanufaktur Heuer AG, founded in 1860 by Edouard Heuer in St-Imier, Switzerland. In 1985 TAG Group purchased a majority stake in the company, forming TAG Heuer. In 1999 French luxury goods conglomerate LVMH bought nearly 100 percent of the Swiss company

Indeed, all my Heuer watches were made between 1968 and 1973 well before TAG got involved. Off to put on my huff and stalk away!
:rvrence:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jaglex
Germany

#14 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Jaglex » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm

I installed two of the Coolcat-motors (Ser. 1.5) and thy work and look very good.
Buther other than Coolcat claims they draw as much power as the old ones I replaced.
Maybe one of these fancy alternator-dressed-as-dynamo-thingies will be a better solution for a lack of electricity:
https://www.limora.com/en/british-cars/ ... 56527.html
Ser. 1.5 DHC LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#15 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Vonkie » Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 am

Thanks Jaglex

As these things go, I am still waiting for various parts to wend their way across the ocean. Retrim being done (assuming kit not also delayed beyond expectation) first week in July. So I still don't have her.

I will have to see how it goes (along with no doubt several other little and not so little foibles). If the heating and/or charging become/s an issue, I shall turn to Kalte Katze and potentially consider an alternator.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#16 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Heuer » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 am

Jaglex

Rather than pay £750 for that hybrid I suggest you fit a Nippon Denso alternator, details in the Upgrade forum.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PhilBell
Great Britain

#17 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by PhilBell » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Another vote for Kenlowe plus dynamo.

Seven years, 20k miles, day and night use, all seasons. Thought I don't have an electric rear window.

I find the way that the headlights dim at idle charming, and find the way that the ammeter dips into the negative at idle when the fan cuts in a useful indicator that the Kenlowe is working.
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

richard btype
Great Britain

#18 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by richard btype » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Delighted with my dynamo and the cool cat fan (purchased from Ken Verity) along with the upgraded heater fan. Also have one of the 500T radiomobile devices with the separate amplifier said to be a real battery drainer - story goes that one pulled off the road into a quite spot in the woods for a 'pleasant picnic' with the radio playing gently in the back ground - 2 hours later! the battery is drained, car won't start. Hopefully will try this one day and put this story to the test! :bigrin: :bigrin:
Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#19 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by Heuer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Manufacturer/Brand: Radiomobile Ltd., Cricklewood Works, London aka S.Smith and Sons
Model: 500T - Radiomobile Ltd
Year: 1961
Type: Car Radio
Valves: 4: 12AC6 12AD6 12AC6 12AE6
Semiconductors : 2: OC82 OC26
Principle: Super-Heterodyne ZF/IF 470 kHz
Tuned circuits: 7 AM circuit(s)
Wave bands: Broadcast (MW) and Long Wave
Material: Metal case
Shape: Chassis only or for "building in"
Power type and voltage: Storage Battery 12 Volt

Those four valves (tubes) are going to drain the battery very quickly. A valve radio needs two power supplies, a high tension 'B' supply for the circuitry and a low tension 'A' supply for the valve heaters (tube filaments); for the 500T a 'C' supply for the semiconductors is required. The A supply does not drain the battery very much but the high tension B circuitry will quickly deplete the car battery. If you used the radio for 4 hours you would probably not have enough juice to start the car.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

richard btype
Great Britain

#20 Re: Kenlowe fan and dynamo?

Post by richard btype » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 pm

David

The radio is c - - p anyway, will probably get the innards changed for better sound and tuning - looks nice and period!
Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic