Upper wishbone ball joint

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by andrewh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 am

I am just have a retighten of all the various suspension fittings on the new restoration and have identified a slight "knock" or play in both brand new top mounts. These were fitted and shimmed when I assembled the suspension, but now with the leverage afforded by the wheel I have some slight play. This is the across the car plane, not the up down or fore and aft plane. So if you waggle the upright you can see discernible play of the ball joint in relation to the upright itself. I tried cracking the nut tighter on the taper and this improved it but its still there. Whether it is play of the taper in the upright, ( its both sides of the car ) or the ball joint in the wishbone I cannot tell. Any of your suspension experts like to offer a opinion please? As I understand it the shims provide for up and down play, but not lateral as such. I suspect it may be some wear in the upper wishbone housing. If that is it I assume there is no fix other than to find a new wishbone?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by abowie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:14 am

andrewh wrote: If that is it I assume there is no fix other than to find a new wishbone?
Correct. The usuals sell an "upgraded" upper wishbone fitted with a modern plastic socket. I have used these on a couple of cars, with good effect. Can't speak to their longevity though.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:44 am

Hi Andrew.....did you fit the ball joints as per the manual.....assemble with shims till ball is tight then remove 0.1m of shims.....the shimming dosnt just stop up/down movement becaus you are shimming the cup that sits on the ball..worth dismantling to check.... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#4 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by andrewh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks chaps. It's a while since I did the upper joint but I would have read and re read the book for obvious reasons. If you are shimming the cup are you not shimming up and down movement ?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi Andrew....as you know the ball/pin drops in from above so it sits in a hollow, then the cup sits on top of the ball, so its sort of all round movement your shimming......if the shims were very loose you would have a sloppy ball up,down,front,back,side,side, you may just have removed a shim that was thicker than the 0.1m
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#6 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by andrewh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:27 pm

excellent . I will check how it is set up. I assume I can do this without removing the taper, which now appears to be well and truly locked in position. Smacking two mallets either side of the upright is not something I want to be doing on a brand new rebuild! I appreciate, it makes it harder to detect the correct shimming for the ball joint play though .
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by mgcjag » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:55 pm

You will need to break the joint to check properly....Get yourself a ball joint breaker.....i have this one, works great https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-3 ... DQods8kAfg leave the nut on loose when you split it so you dont damage the end of the thread or have it fly out
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#8 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by andrewh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:40 pm

thanks Steve. I have about 4 different ones of these but they are all a bit too big. I will have another play rather than buy a fifth! thanks for the help.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#9 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by andrewh » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 pm

yes, reshimmed it and its gone now. Must have been a bit lose when built off the car. Its the advantage of having the leverage from the wheel that showed it up. Anyway, do you think that a looseness here would contribute to wheel wobble ? I guess the answer has to be yes, but interested in views?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#10 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by Peter27 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 am

Hi Andrew. I had exactly the same issue with the offside joint. Re-shimmed and slight 'tremor' from front has disappeared, so I assume the problem does give a degree of wheel wobble.
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#11 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by andrewh » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 pm

interesting that you had a shimmy on the front. Bound to have some effect. I feel sure. thanks
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#12 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by Gfhug » Tue May 02, 2017 5:43 pm

Andrew, can you remember how many shims you ended up using?
I'm using a spare set of upper wishbones (cleaned, zinc plated etc.) to minimise the time the car is off the road. I've tried with the 4 shims that come with the ball joint kit and they are still quite loose.

Thanks

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#13 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by andrewh » Tue May 02, 2017 5:55 pm

about 6/7 shims from memory. Slightly frustrated that the spring in the kit will not fit through the shoes in the kits which means that you have a hard job getting the cap on. Anyway, about 7 from memory, and its removed the slight play.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#14 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by mgcjag » Tue May 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Dont forget to measure the shims....fit as many as poss till the ball it tight then remove 0.1m as per the manual.....a narrow socket on the top and a G clamp helps you compress it, adding shims till tight...slide the circlip over the socket befor you clamp it......
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#15 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by andrewh » Tue May 02, 2017 6:53 pm

Forget the G cramp Steve! So yesterday. I find my side valve spring compressor is perfect
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#16 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by mgcjag » Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Nice to hear you have some good tools :bigrin: just thought i would add it in...im sure some struggle and just try to squeez it in with there thumbs.....ask me how i know :bigrin:
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#17 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by Gfhug » Tue May 02, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks Andrew and Steve, it looks like 7 or 8 will be needed, so not much difference from your experience.

Cheers
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#18 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by rfs1957 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Since these sorts of parts can generate a rather fluid "market", would someone be so kind as to update the current state of play on these, please ? I've posted what my research threw up so far ............

I haven't stripped mine yet so not clear what I'm going to be faced with, but would like to understand the issues and what's on offer.

Re-con ones can presumably be required because the ball is running on a lower seat that is machined directly into the wishbone, which then wears to the extent that shimming can no longer compensate for the loss of metal ?

How much wear is "worn", and how many shims are acceptable ?

Is there much choice on suppliers / approaches for these re-con upper arms, and do they re-create the lower seats or just clean them up and use fatter shims ?

I think I understood from trawling with the search function that CMC do an alternative nylon "upgrade" for £120 + VAT a pop :

https://www.classic-motor-cars.co.uk/cl ... rated_3931

- unfortunately presented with the customary zero technical explanation or details of what fitting entails, tho' on JagLovers

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/upper-w ... /356890/19

it appears that you buy the kit then machine at your cost the wishbones to their spec ............

Once the existing ball joint is removed, the socket will need to be machined out to our CMC spec. Once that has been done we would shot blast and then send the wishbone away for plating ready for the new ball joint to be fitted. However, it is sometimes easier and cheaper to just get a new wishbone with the ball joint upgrade already fitted.

They also offer new wishbones at £270 plus VAT each, presumably with these same joints fitted ?

https://www.classic-motor-cars.co.uk/cl ... bones_4035

Has anyone put serious miles on these - I heard reports of annoying sqeaks from someone in the trade.

This is the current SNGB offer :

Have any members had success in freshening-up ball/socket with these parts ?

Many thanks.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#19 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by angelw » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Hello Rory,
I've had so little success with the Off The Shelf items, we make our own Balls and Cups. The problem seems to be more with the cup and invariable, the top surface of the cup needs to be surface ground to allow the cover plate and circlip to be assembled even without any shims. I don't understand why the after market manufacturers can't get it consistently right. It's not like they're designing something new, but just copying what already exists.

With regards to the lower socket that is part of the wishbone, if you can see, or feel appreciable wear, then no amount of shimming is going to rectify this. In the past, we have built up that area with the same material as the parent and then re-machined the profile using CNC machine tools. In recent time, I've machined the ball socket area to take a sealed ball joint from an MG-F. This requires the Socket to be removed completely and an internal thread cut to take the sealed ball joint assembly.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarkRado
Austria

#20 Re: Upper wishbone ball joint

Post by MarkRado » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:53 am

mgcjag wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:55 pm
You will need to break the joint to check properly....Get yourself a ball joint breaker.....i have this one, works great https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-3 ... DQods8kAfg leave the nut on loose when you split it so you dont damage the end of the thread or have it fly out
Hi Steve,
can you help me with the diameter (inner width of the fork) of that tool? Would be of great help to get the right one also from other suppliers,
thank you
Mark
1963 OTS 880436

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic