S1 rear engine/gearbox mount

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
keith Portsmore

#1 S1 rear engine/gearbox mount

Post by keith Portsmore » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 am

I have an S1 fitted with 4 sp syncro box. I have a problem with the engine mounting (refer SNGB Page 14). The top engine mount / restraint is as shown and the inference is that this remains the same for S2 and also I assume S1.5 ?

The original bottom mount as detailed for S1 has been changed because the appropriate mount points are not available on the gearbox for this mount solution. An S2 mount as been used. This mount incorporates a spring which results in the tendency for rise and fall according to torque used. This cannot be right and needs to be sorted.

The S1.5 has a 4.2 syncro box so how is the rear mount issue dealt with?

A thought also occurs to me. Are all 4.2 syncro boxes (on S1.5, S2, Mk2, S types etc;) the same unit (except ratio's) mounted in a similar way?

Can anyone out there help please?
keith portsmore

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Duckham
Great Britain

#2 Re: S1 rear engine/gearbox mount

Post by Duckham » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Keith -
What car do you have?
The S1 3.8 cars with a Moss box had a different gearbox mount to the later S1 4.2 with synchro box.
As far as I am aware both types of mount fit the basic bodyshell and as long as you have the right one for the gearbox there is not much can go wrong. It is possible there are different rate springs for different gearbox configurations eg Auto 2+2 but the parts manual will tell you that.

I suspect the problem here is that the rear engine stabiliser is simply not adjusted correctly. Do you have the workshop manual? The procedure is documented there and it is critical to follow it or you will put put huge strain in places not designed to take it.
Note I refer to it as a stabiliser which is it's function, it should be under no load normally.
Joe
1963 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#3 Re: S1 rear engine/gearbox mount

Post by 1954Etype » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Joe, the 4.2 mount was used on the later 3.8s.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
keith Portsmore

#4 Re: S1 rear engine/gearbox mount

Post by keith Portsmore » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Joe,

Thanks for your reply. My car is an early 64 3.8 FHC which now has a 4.2 syncro box with S2 mount (sprung to give movement which is what I was trying to eliminate. The original S1 mount will only work on the original Moss box.

I have now discovered that the movement is intended to be there but the idea about the stabilizer is also valid - poor adjustment thereof could well be the result of the excessive movement I have.

Thank you.
keith portsmore

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#5 Re: S1 rear engine/gearbox mount

Post by Philk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:07 am

1954Etype wrote:Joe, the 4.2 mount was used on the later 3.8s.
Hi..... Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if there's a defined cutover point for that (e.g. is there a service bulletin)?

When I bought my car earlier this year, the dealer highlighted that it had a later gearbox mount. It has the original Moss Box (fully checked out with numbers matching the data plate). As such, I'm wondering if it is simply that it has a 4.2 mount simply due to its date of manufacture (June '64) and that therefore everything is fine. In addition, does anyone have photos of the two different types of mounts?

Many thanks!
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic