Lower frame bolts

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Landcrab
Sweden

#1 Lower frame bolts

Post by Landcrab » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Hello Everybody!

I'm new to the forum and is restoring a 1965 fhc and was hoping for some thoughts regarding the 2 bolts that connect the side engine frames to the beams under the car and the reaction plate. The holes in the beams and the reaction plate are 9/16" but the holes in Martin Robeys frames are 1/2". This of course makes me wonder if someone have been drilling the holes in my car or if Robeys might be wrong because I think it's a bad place not to have this fitment 100% correct.

Greatful for any help

Regards Johan
1965 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Lower frame bolts

Post by abowie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 pm

The original Jaguar Parts Manual is an invaluable resource for restoration. It lists pretty much every nut and bolt, and there is a code for most fasteners that tells you what diameter, thread and length is required.

If I understand you correctly the fastener you are talking about is coded UFB137/18R which is a 3/8" diameter UNF bolt 2 1/4" in length. This would have a 9/16" AF head, so from your description it does sound like the hole in the frames is too small. Obviously though I could be misunderstanding you and I could be wrong.

I suggest you confirm that by comparison with another frame before you drill the hole out.

If you go HERE you will find a wealth of technical documents.

The Fastener Code is linked here as a pdf document.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Landcrab
Sweden

#3 Re: Lower frame bolts

Post by Landcrab » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks for the answer. I will check a bit more.
1965 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#4 Re: Lower frame bolts

Post by angelw » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:41 am

Landcrab Wrote: I'm new to the forum and is restoring a 1965 fhc and was hoping for some thoughts regarding the 2 bolts that connect the side engine frames to the beams under the car and the reaction plate. The holes in the beams and the reaction plate are 9/16" but the holes in Martin Robeys frames are 1/2". This of course makes me wonder if someone have been drilling the holes in my car or if Robeys might be wrong because I think it's a bad place not to have this fitment 100% correct.
Hello Landcrab,
When you say that the holes (plural) are 1/2", there are two bolts per Sub Frame that assemble transversely, through the rails of the monocoque, but only one each is 1/2"; the other is 3/8" (See the first picture below labeled "Transverse Through Rails"). The second picture below (labeled "Reaction Plate Face") shows the holes through which bolts pass to secure the rear spline plate and the Sub Frame to the face of the Reaction Plate; these are both 3/8".

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic