Silly sentimentality?

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#1 Silly sentimentality?

Post by Vonkie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Been having great fun for the 10 days I've had her, including a 71 mile roundtrip this morning for breakfast, with an incredibly smooth run at 85-90mph on highway.

Taking her back to attend to bits, including proper finishing on gaiter.

Now I have a practical/ sentimental dilemma. We had decided to fit a high torque starter to assist with the occasional starting issues relating to discharge, and balancing it with getting to the right temperature to have the Kenlowe kick in. When the battery was not fully charged, the starter tended to be sluggish and to drain the battery more. The 10 days I've had her, apart from one occasion with discharging too much on headlamps (when she died), she's been starting like a dream, from cold (full choke) or not so cold (no choke). But apart from one night, when she started no problem the next morning without any help overnight, I have been charging her on C-Tek every night, so the battery tends to be well charged all the time.

Now that she is going back for a while, I suddenly feel a sentimental twinge about swapping out the cute Lucas inertia starter. Is this a rational feeling? Every modification entails a little loss. Some are no brainers, like the Kenlowe fan and the extra brake calipers front, and some make sense, like the dynator we at first did not know had been fitted. I know the Powerlite will help on the odd occasion (Hugo for example said in a thread it can make the difference if it's go or no go), and will draw less power, and this should be enough to put it in. But should there be any feeling of resistance to changing the original technology unless reasonably necessary? Should I hold out a bit?

Would very much appreciate thoughts. I prefer as a principle keeping the original technology where not too unwise. I want to drive her often and far, and of course prefer not being stuck in the middle of nowhere without power. Carry a little battery pack with me.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#2 Re: Silly sentimentality?

Post by Jeremy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:06 pm

I don't think this is silly sentimentality Frank, but reflects the age old dilemma facing all restorations whether it be E types or cathedrals.
I've elected to stick with the original starter (restored) on my engine because I'm trying to keep things original as far as possible and because I find the characteristic soundtrack of the old starter churning before the engine fires up is part of the E-xperience. No it's not necessarily the best engineering solution but a question of drawing the line somewhere on upgrades. When the restoration is finished and I finally start using the car, I may regret that decision and buy a Denso. Either after or at the same time as I buy a Denso alternator which many have told me I will certainly be doing when (not if) the Lucas job packs up....
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#3 Re: Silly sentimentality?

Post by ralphr1780 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 am

Frank, I was sceptical too, here is my experience.
My S2 has yet the original starter fitted.
My S1 got a new high torque, the original lays in a carton on a shelf.
Both cars have the same Varta battery, EDIS, carbs...
A world of difference when cranking.
So as soon as I have enough courage or a good reason for, I will be fitting a high torque as well on the S2.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phil.dobson@mac.com
Great Britain

#4 Re: Silly sentimentality?

Post by phil.dobson@mac.com » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 am

For me its a case of differentiating between an 'upgrade' and fixing a fault. In the past I for one have 'upgraded' to cure an issue. HOWEVER a lot of these 'upgrade' components do not last the test of time and in my case the early high grade starters have failed miserably. The harsh reality is that a original component in good/reconditioned condition is perfectly adequate. If you battery and or charging system cannot provide sufficient charging current and your battery is below spec you need to address that first.
Are the original starts heavy, agricultural ? YES. do they work reliably for years..? yes!
Trust me I have chased my tai for years on so called improvements. most are not necessary or beneficial. Even the brakes are ok if you have the original spec rebuilt PROPERLY.

Best regards
getting older and grumpier by the day
Phil D.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#5 Re: Silly sentimentality?

Post by malcolm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 am

It's all down to what we want from our cars, I believe. Do you want modern ease, and just enjoy the drive, or originality with all the quirks? I quite like the originality. Incidentally, I have the original old starter and charging system on my S2. Even the battery is 14 years old. I only put it on a trickle charger (optimate) over the winter months. My car starts every time, and has never let me down.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Vonkie
South Africa

#6 Re: Silly sentimentality?

Post by Vonkie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks guys!

As they say in the classics - quot homines tot sententiae (as many people, so many views).

As if by way of a sign from above, when I stopped at my seller/restorer's early this morning after driving her in on a 13 mile trip, with some traffic at the end, I switched her off and started her again at the gate - and the first try had a whoooop / wooooo / stop, while the second try some 1 minute later started well. This made me think the high torque unit could make the difference on those touch and go occasions.

And yes, of course, the priority is to get the charging/discharging sorted.

I'll keep the old starter in a box, for sentimental reasons. After all, the original Mossbox was kept in a box, and when I came along to buy, I insisted on having it put back in, with much trepidation, and it has proved to be a wonderful decision. Yes it is a pain in the backside at times, but I am so happy for having done it.

Now to have oil leak from camcover seal (yikes) and petrol leak (yikes) attended to, and bits of trim (no yikes).

I'll deal with life for a while, while Lady Devorguilla sleeps elsewhere.

I was worrying this would be an anti-climax when I finally got her, but boy has it not been!
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic