oil dipstick

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

malcolm
Great Britain

#21 Re: oil dipstick

Post by malcolm » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:36 pm

Considering the thickness of the felt washer, I wouldn't have thought it would make any noticeable difference to the oil level and where the oil comes to on the stick.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#22 Re: oil dipstick

Post by caveman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:06 pm

Having just carried out a sump off job to fit rear seal and new sump gaskets, I drained the oil and changed out the filter on my 1965 4.2 FHC. As this topic has been in my mind for some time, I ensured that 8.5ltrs of engine oil was added before running up warm this time. I have a newish felt washer on the dipstick, which sits 8mm proud of its domed mount, and checking the oil with the felt in place the oil level sits below minimum (knurled) section. I’d say 3/4 distance from ‘E’ stamp to min level. With felt washer removed the oil level is below ‘E’ stamp so I’d say it does make a real difference. The dipstick measures 8” approx from ‘Max” to domed section as mentioned earlier in thread.
After restoration some years ago the original felt was probably 2-3mm in depth with engine oil level half way up knurled section so with this in mind I believe that my engine has been running with over 8.5ltrs from day 1 of my ownership and with no ill effects.
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#23 Re: oil dipstick

Post by mgcjag » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:18 pm

Hi Steve...im confused here...you say with a felt washer your level is below the knurled section......but without felt washer your level is below the stamped E.........with felt washer removed the dipstick goes in further so your level should show higher.........you also say youve been running with more than 8.5 lit with no ill effects.....not quite as youve just replaced sump and rear gasket.....this could have been your problem........this weekend i changed the oil and filter (original type) on my E type......filled with 8.5 lit......no washer on dipstick......level is over half way on the knurled section.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#24 Re: oil dipstick

Post by caveman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:22 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the confusion, I am 180 out and thanks for the sanity check, you are absolutely correct.

With the felt washer in place my oil level is below the ‘E’ stamp and checking the oil with no felt washer the oil level sits below minimum (knurled) section. I’d say 3/4 distance from ‘E’ stamp to min level. The sump was off for a week so it was well drained. I never thought to connect my rear sump seal fail with possibility of overfilling, just thought the cork had failed naturally after 20yrs in place and I’ve religiously put oil level to mid way on knurled section as this was the position it was when I collected it post restoration.

I will be trimming the felt washer as it’s too thick. I’ve also been wondering if the domed section, that holds the felt washer, has been incorrectly positioned on dipstick but I have found my oil level and the dipstick measurements (and shape) to be exactly the same as Allisters previous post;

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13486#p109597
Allister wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:39 am
Hello,

As promised, I checked my engine oil dipstick and I join 3 pictures. The 2 first ones are the dipstick under different angle. The third one is the level displayed by the dipstick for 8.5L of oil.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 12.22.33.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 12.22.46.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 12.23.09.jpg
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#25 Re: oil dipstick

Post by mgcjag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:49 am

Hi Steve......Allster never came back on that post to give any answers.....it was suggested to check his dipstick tube ......i would suggest something is not correct with yours if you level is below the E mark.......we had a similar report recently with readings too high...the poster had actually lost count and overfilled....what sump do you have ..E type or modified xj6 or similar......Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#26 Re: oil dipstick

Post by caveman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:46 pm

So I have today got to the bottom of my issue. I drained the oil and filter and re-measured, 8ltrs so that explains some of the shortfall. Dipstick tube also not seated correctly and now with trimmed felt washer I now have oil registered correctly in centre of marks.
The sump, engine and dipstick are correct and original to my car.
Now I can carry on prep for my planned travel to E60 without worry.
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#27 Re: oil dipstick

Post by mgcjag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi Steve thanks for up dating and great that your sorted.......glad that i pushed you on it.......Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david muir
Scotland

#28 Re: oil dipstick

Post by david muir » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:18 pm

Just changed the oil/filter today on my 3.8. (block is original and correct dipstick) Carefully measured each litre added and noted dipstick reading ( after 5 litres). 8.5 litres added and level was 2/3rds up the 'hatching', started engine to fill filter , switched off and allowed to settle. Oil level now at approx 1/3rd way up the hatching!
Feel I should add a touch more to bring it up a bit but, having read all this post, maybe should leave it where it is???
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#29 Re: oil dipstick

Post by malcolm » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:18 am

If you have put 8.5 litres in, I'd leave it where it is and just know where "full" is on your dipstick.
How long did you leave it to settle? I need to leave mine almost overnight for oil to reach it's final mark on the dipstick. Also, are you sure your car is completely level? Makes a big difference.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david muir
Scotland

#30 Re: oil dipstick

Post by david muir » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Well suggested Malcolm!- just went and had a look- oil level now 2/3rds way up hatching! Guess that's the level!
Funny that Jaguar said to leave for just a minute after switch off to check oil! :smile:
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic