Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Moeregaard
United States of America

#21 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by Moeregaard » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:02 pm

I'll second David's recommendations. I played around with different tire sizes back in the '80s, and anything other than the stock skins just didn't feel right--and made the steering heavier in the process. I fitted 185-15 Avons to my new, 5" Dayton wheels, set the pressures to 32psi and never looked back.

Konis are too stiff for a roadgoing E-Type, they seem to be experiencing quality issues, and they're horrendously expensive--at least on this side of the pond. When I had them on my car, I had to run them at their softest setting anyway.

I've extolled the virtues of the Coolcat fan elsewhere, but here I go again. It's the only aftermarket fan I've seen that integrates perfectly with the stock mount and the radiator shroud. I had one on my '66 FHC and on 90F days in southern California the temp would remain close to 70C, even when sitting in traffic.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Philk
Great Britain

#22 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by Philk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:37 am

Moeregaard wrote:I'll second David's recommendations. I played around with different tire sizes back in the '80s, and anything other than the stock skins just didn't feel right--and made the steering heavier in the process. I fitted 185-15 Avons to my new, 5" Dayton wheels, set the pressures to 32psi and never looked back.

Konis are too stiff for a roadgoing E-Type, they seem to be experiencing quality issues, and they're horrendously expensive--at least on this side of the pond. When I had them on my car, I had to run them at their softest setting anyway.

I've extolled the virtues of the Coolcat fan elsewhere, but here I go again. It's the only aftermarket fan I've seen that integrates perfectly with the stock mount and the radiator shroud. I had one on my '66 FHC and on 90F days in southern California the temp would remain close to 70C, even when sitting in traffic.
Thanks Mark, I had not yet looked into the CoolCat Fan (I've been focussing on which Marston lookalike Rad to get). I'm definitely going for the 185-15 tyres and have opted for the Boge shock absorbers. The price difference was amazing over here; the Konis were 3x the price.

Best Regards

Phil
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#23 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by malcolm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks John (and others) for clarifying my understanding of tyre markings. The fact that standard aspect (80%) is implied and not marked is the bit that threw me
Sorry if I led the post a bit off track! Just to put it back on track, I must say that after some very quick laps at Goodwood, and at Prescott hill climb, I don't have any problems with my 185's. So I guess it is down to cosmetics.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Philk
Great Britain

#24 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by Philk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Am about to order the 185 tyres.... Camskill only stock Tubeless Vredesteins 185HR15 91H tyres. Can I quickly check whether it is correct to have tubeless tyres on Etype Wire wheels? I’ve bought plenty of tyres over the years but never for wire wheels!

Many thanks!

Phil
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#25 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by Gfhug » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Phil, that's interesting that they say they are only tubeless.
I had Vreds fitted last year and although a couple of my wheels were 'tubeless', i.e. were sealed for being tubeless, the fitters put tubes in each so all four would be the same as they couldn't be certain the two tubeless would still be airtight. It's the wheels that are tubeless, not the tyres I believe. So check your wheels.

As for fitting, find somewhere that can properly balance wire wheels, most modern shops can't and make a pig's ear of it. Mine were balanced with a bubble level not on a spinning balance used for modern wheels. They have been absolutely perfect with that form of balancing.

If your fitters have no experience or don't have a bubble balance then go elsewhere.
If you're anywhere near me then I can recommend a good place to fit and balance.

Geoff

PS John, that's a fine point of clarification you made, cheers
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#26 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by malcolm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:06 pm

"Camskill only stock Tubeless Vredesteins 185HR15 91H tyres." They are the tyres I use, tubeless, on my wires. Never lose any pressure ever, so must seal well!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#27 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by Heuer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:52 pm

David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Philk
Great Britain

#28 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by Philk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:04 am

Many thanks for the above on the wire wheels. I'm heading back to the restorers in a few days' time and will check on whether my existing wire wheels are "tubeless" or not. I had not appreciated that the wheels themselves were different. I can then order as appropriate.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Philk
Great Britain

#29 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by Philk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:39 pm

malcolm wrote:"Camskill only stock Tubeless Vredesteins 185HR15 91H tyres." They are the tyres I use, tubeless, on my wires. Never lose any pressure ever, so must seal well!
On checking, my existing wheels had tubes fitted so will need to do the same here. I went ahead and ordered the Vredesteins.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#30 Re: Brakes, Tyres and Cooling upgrades

Post by mgcjag » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Make sure that if you fit tubes that the bands are in good condition.... (the rubber covering over the ends of the spokes to prevent them cutting into the tube).. Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic