Dynalite vs Dynator?

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Philk
Great Britain

#1 Dynalite vs Dynator?

Post by Philk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Any views on which is better - Dynalite or Dynators? Whichever I go for will be a positive earth variant. I've been told that Dynators have a Denso alternator in them and are better quality but would welcome the views of those who've owned either (or considered both and then opted for a particular model). Mine will be to match a C42 Dynamo given the production year of my S1.

Many thanks!
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vonkie
South Africa

#2 Re: Dynalite vs Dynator?

Post by Vonkie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:55 pm

I cannot help with comparing the products, but I've learnt a bit about the Dynalites - as far as I can tell, the original 3.8 crankshaft pulley was 130mm diameter, and the Lucas C42 Dynamo pulley 80mm. The Dynalites (and I think the Dynators - I thought Dynator was a generic term and Dynalite the Powerlite brand?) recommend a minimum pulley ratio of 2:1, making 130/80 non-ideal. I am relatively confident that the poor charging I am getting from the Dynalite the PO fitted is due to this lopsided pulley ratio. I am now trying to get the right size belt capable of being tensioned properly with the smaller 60mm pulley. In the meantime, I rev at lights. Good luck, and maybe you can help me when you find out what's best and my pulley manoeuvre ends up not doing the trick.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic