Marston Radiator Numbers

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Philk
Great Britain

#1 Marston Radiator Numbers

Post by Philk » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 am

I'm about to purchase a replica finned Marston Radiator for my 3.8 OTS and will be also purchasing the Coolcat replica Marston tag to go on top of it. In a perfect world, it would be great to put the same identity number on the tag as per the one that was on my car originally.

Is there anyway of finding out what the serial numbers were of each Marston Radiator and what Chassis Number they were fixed to? Would this information be in the Jaguar Archive somewhere? It would be a great addition to XKEData!
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herblay
Spain

#2 Re: Marston Radiator Numbers

Post by Herblay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi Phil:

There is useful information on this regard on the 'Jaguar E-Type Six-Cylinder Originality Guide" from Haddock-Mueller, page 207. For instance, they mention that the "Issue Nº" box is usually un-stamped, "Test Pressure" should be most likely '15', and the other two are really a mistery for me regarding what kind of systematic was followed. Hope this helps a little bit, although I bet some other more experienced and expert forum members can provide more light on this matter.

Best regards
S1 FHC 3.8

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Marston Radiator Numbers

Post by cactusman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 pm

See this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6975&hilit=marston+serial

Basically the serial numbers were not recorded on the car build sheets....they just took the radiators from stock as and when. So serial numbers will correspond very approximately to TOTAL number cars built....RHD/LHD and FHC and OTS...Unless you have the original rad and plate there is no way of knowing for sure...

So make a guess as to how many cars in total had been built by the time they built yours and pick a number +/- 100...

Clausagers Factory original E type book gives chassis numbers for LHD/RHD and FHC/OTS for various changes made during production so it is possible to make an educated guess for any particular month from Mar 61 to when the radiator changed with the introduction of the 4.2. Then pick a number around 100 each side and you might not be far wrong....at least that is what I did... :bigrin: :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wagstefan
Germany

#4 Re: Marston Radiator Numbers

Post by wagstefan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Best indication of no. of cars is the engine number.... Yes, there have been deviations of +- 100 and sometimes in very rare occasions even more, but in general this gives a good indication of what no. of car were built prior to yours.

Alternatively look at the body number, find a corresponding FHC build / dispatched at the same time, add its body number and there you go....

And no, it most likely will not be the exact number of the rad in your car. They were simply delivered, put somewhere into storage at Jaguar and took out as cars were produced. So if Jaguar received e.g. 500 radiators, 1.) it must not have been the last numbers in production (maybe there were some left at Marston) and 2.) the oldest/earliest (smallest) number could have been put into the most far away place and the newest/latest (highest) number right at the front might have been utilized first at the next car. And finally 3.) if a new batch was delivered before the last ones were installed into a car, these might have waited very long until they became installed...

What I am trying to say is do not bother too much about the right number. Just select one close to your original engine no...

Good luck!

Stefan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

poofacio
Great Britain

#5 Re: Marston Radiator Numbers

Post by poofacio » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:21 am

Does anyone know if blank (unstamped) plates are available anywhere? Whoever makes the ones that are available also insists on stamping them with wrong fonts and wrong info. It would be better if they just left them alone!
61 RHD OBL DHC
61 flat floor DHC
61 FHC
63 FHC
66 FHC (QUAD LIGHTS)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Doug Buchan
United States of America