Hinged extension board question

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
peters3103
Australia

#1 Hinged extension board question

Post by peters3103 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi
I’ve noticed in my parts catalogue there is a peg/stud/pin (part number not handy) listed which is attached to either side of the folding extension board which then secures it when laid flat. It’s presumably received by some sort of clip which has been covered over when my car was re-trimmed. I can feel a hole in both sides under the support panel. Would these pegs be the same as the boot board fixing pegs. This is what SNGB have suggested but with a question mark.
Pete
61 E-Type FHC Opalescent Golden Sand
69 XJ6 4.2 MOD Old English White - one previous owner
16 XE R Sport 25t Polaris White - shopping trolley
63 MGB Roadster Aintree Green - my dads from new

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
peters3103
Australia

#2 Re: Hinged extension board question

Post by peters3103 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 am

Just noticed in a reply by Yves to my previous post a photo of the folding board with the peg in situ and it looks very much the same as the boot board item.
Pete

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#3 Re: Hinged extension board question

Post by 44DHR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:06 am

Your Parts Catalogue should show that the two studs are different in size and profile, with different part numbers. My 4.2 Parts Catalogue lists them separately.
The single stud locating to Spare Wheel Cover is much larger and part number BD. 10958.
The two studs locating the hinged extension board for the Luggage Floor are more delicate and chromed with part number BD.23717.
I attach some photos of these and for completeness and to answer your question, include the hidden clip which receives the studs of the hinged extension board, part number BD.22348. These clips are attached under the Support Rail Assembly and covered in vinyl on top where the studs pass through, so are not normally visible.
Photos taken with the cover laid alongside the raised extension board and in the second photo through the side window, so not perfectly clear, but at least you can see the difference in size and profiles.
What SNGB are offering you in your photo appears to be the larger stud for the Spare Wheel Cover.

I trust this assists,
Regards,
Dave
Last edited by 44DHR on Wed May 02, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
peters3103
Australia

#4 Re: Hinged extension board question

Post by peters3103 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi Dave and thanks for the very comprehensive reply and photos. I can clearly see the difference. Interestingly SNGB superceed BD10958 to BD23717 but as your photos show there is a difference in size and BD10958 is not chromed.
XKs Unlimited list BD23717 for 3.8 #886091 on and 4.2, so not for earlier cars like mine. Other suppliers list BD23717 but without a comprehensive description so still at a bit of a loss. Incidentally my 3.8 spare parts catalogue lists BD20144 but this part number doesn’t come up anywhere that I can find. I’m wanting to get this correct for my particular car (885175)

Cheers
Pete
Pete

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#5 Re: Hinged extension board question

Post by 44DHR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 pm

I’m not sure of the subtle differences in the evolution of these fixings from the earlier 3.8 FHC cars and I can only comment on the later 4.2 cars, as mine is a 1967 4.2 FHC.
Perhaps someone with an earlier car can advise any differences with these fixings ?
It makes sense that the extension board studs are more discrete and chromed as they are potentially visible when the board is raised, but as your car is one of the very first flat floors, such details potentially may not have been developed to these final niceties.
Regards,
Dave
Last edited by 44DHR on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
peters3103
Australia

#6 Re: Hinged extension board question

Post by peters3103 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Dave,
Thanks again.
Picture below is from the 3.8 Factory Fit of an unrestored November 61 FHC clearly showing the stud in situ so it seems my similar dated car should have them.
Pete

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
peters3103
Australia

#7 Re: Hinged extension board question

Post by peters3103 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:48 pm

It also appears my support rail assembly is incorrect as it slopes back and doesn’t protrude beyond the wheel arch. If the studs were in fact in place they wouldn’t even come into contact with the support rail. The folding board sits too far forward of the support when laid flat.
Below are photos of my car (beige) and of the same area from an original car (red)

Pete

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic