Factory Hardtop

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
markatkohi
New Zealand

#1 Factory Hardtop

Post by markatkohi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi There,

Hoping a Series 1 expert may be able to assist here. I have recently purchased a 1966/7 ? Series 1 4.2 OTS RHD for restoration. It comes with a hardtop. The hardtop is black vinyl covered. The car was delivered as dark blue from the factory. Is there any way to determine if the Hardtop is a factory Hardtop? Was black Vinyl rather than paint an optional finish from the factory? Cant seem to find much reference to vinyl covered hardtops.

Also I have seen a lot a variation in what may be "Light blue" as an interior finish. from almost dark blue to light blue/grey to baby blue. Is there any authoritative color swatches to reference that anyone knows of?

Many Thanks

Mark.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#2 Re: Factory Hardtop

Post by Mich7920 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:49 am

Hi Mark,

If your hard top is similar to the left one.
David confirm me that it was an after marker.
Regards
Mich
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Factory Hardtop

Post by christopher storey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:15 am

Black vinyl was certainly never offered by the factory, so either someone has covered a factory hardtop, or , as is much more likely, it is an aftermarket product

factory "light blue" interior is in fact a pale bluey-grey, and unfortunately it is one of the most vulnerable colours to scuffs and general deterioration particularly on the sills which inevitable get kicked when you get in and out

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
markatkohi
New Zealand

#4 Re: Factory Hardtop

Post by markatkohi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for the replies,

I don't have the hard top handy at the moment it is all still in the "barn" some distance away. From best memory it appears like the one on the left but I can only distinguish the difference there by what looks like a vinyl finish on it. I will keep investigating if it is a factory vs aftermarket. Is there any way to tell if it is a factory hardtop (that has had vinyl put on it) from specific features or markings? I will look more closely on the next visit.

Regardless, it sounds like I should strip the vinyl off and paint. Black? or Car color (dark blue)?

Re: Interior trim colour... (edited)

I found a swatch of Connolly leather here http://connollybros.co.uk/vaumolrange.html

Also a swatch at https://classicregister.com/id-guides/h ... 8l-and-42l

Image attached.

There is Dark Blue, Blue and Blue/grey Vamoul but no "light blue" in the Connolly swatch but after looking at the "Light Blue" from the swatch at the second link I am wondering if Connolly Vaumol "blue" may be the alternative to the "blue/grey" suggested that would satisfy the original "Light Blue" description of "as delivered."

Any opinion on how much the value is affected by such a change in interior color if it was different from as delivered?

Thanks again for the fast replies.

Couple of photos for everyone's amusement...

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic